View Poll Results: What is a better choice?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay at B&H Sovereign Round Stamp (1976)

10 47.62%
  • Buy a newer York Eminence 4052 (2010)

1 4.76%
  • Buy something else

10 47.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older Round Stamp or newer York Eminence?

Question Older Round Stamp or newer York Eminence?

Hello fellas,

I am thinking about upgrade of my main instrument. Do you think that is a good idea to sell an older B&H Sovereign Round Stamp Euphonium (1978) and buy a newer York Eminence 4052 (2010)? From this change I expect better intonation, better flexibility and response with the same quality of the tone. Please vote or writte some opinions. Thank you.

Heimat
    Jan Vundr
    York Eminence 4052 Euphonium
    SKODA AUTO Wind Band, Czech Republic | www.brassmaniac.com
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    York Bb Tuba | Amati oval Euphonium | Denis Wick 3AL (silver finish with golden cup & rim)

I don't know if you'll find much difference in intonation. But if it has the trigger that will make it much easier to play in tune. Otherwise I think your assumptions are correct. The Yorks seem slightly better for response, although that could vary from horn to horn. Some of the old Sovereigns were quite good in that regard. This would be a situation where I would really want to try the horn carefully before buying.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thank you, David. The theme of trigger is for me for one reason funny. I have a greater affliction that some of my notes are too low and do not need to lower most of the other tones. Specially G and A above the staff , Eb in the 3rd space in the staff and some notes in compensation area are low (I tried all fingering combinations). The same problem with G and A I already had with my previous Euphonium (Besson 765). I must to be very careful and work with lips.

But I believe that it will be better on Eminence. It is a newer instrument and a higher model with a higher price...

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I don't know if you'll find much difference in intonation. But if it has the trigger that will make it much easier to play in tune. Otherwise I think your assumptions are correct. The Yorks seem slightly better for response, although that could vary from horn to horn. Some of the old Sovereigns were quite good in that regard. This would be a situation where I would really want to try the horn carefully before buying.
    Last edited by heimat; 01-20-2015 at 01:02 PM.
    Jan Vundr
    York Eminence 4052 Euphonium
    SKODA AUTO Wind Band, Czech Republic | www.brassmaniac.com
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    York Bb Tuba | Amati oval Euphonium | Denis Wick 3AL (silver finish with golden cup & rim)

4. 123
    Last edited by Kristian_Wraae; 10-30-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Round Stamp!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian_Wraae View Post
    If I had a round stamp Sovering they would have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
    I was thinking the same thing!

If I had a round stamp Sovering they would have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
    Were the Sovereigns from that era that good? That's what we had when I was in college and I don't recall thinking they were all that. They were bought new in about 1976. They certainly were not consistent from horn to horn. My memories may be fuzzy though.

+2. The York is probably ok. But giving up a mid '70's B&H for that? Nope.

Considering I play a gorgeous 1982 Besson Imperial, and am partial to such horns, I would say keep the Sovereign!

Kyle Aufderhar

1982 Besson Imperial 767 euphonium (Giddings and Webster Carbonaria)
    1966 Salvation Army Triumphonic baritone (Doug Elliott, LT 100 rim, F cup, F3xs shank)

Lafayette Concert Band
    Acadian Wind Symphony
    University of Louisiana-Lafayette Wind Ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Markmc611 View Post
    +2. The York is probably ok. But giving up a mid '70's B&H for that? Nope.
    +3. The same from my side...
    Jochen

Boosey&Hawkes Imperial with SM4(U-X),
    YEP-321 with DW 4AY ...
    ... and my cello

I sense a trend developing! Another option to consider is adding a tuning-slide trigger to your Sovereign.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast