Thread: FS: Rotary Valve Euphonium / Baritone Horn by Amati - Nickel Silver Finish + 24K Gold

Question FS: Rotary Valve Euphonium / Baritone Horn by Amati - Nickel Silver Finish + 24K Gold

Jan Vundr
    York Eminence 4052 Euphonium
    SKODA AUTO Wind Band, Czech Republic | www.brassmaniac.com
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    York Bb Tuba | Amati oval Euphonium | Denis Wick 3AL (silver finish with golden cup & rim)

This looks like a nice horn. Note (signature below) that I actually own an Amati oval euphonium (1965 vintage).

I would not compare it to a sports car, but it is huge fun to play. For me, a piston horn seems a bit faster, but the Germans and Czechs really rip on these oval euphs. Look for performances on Youtube. The Russians like them for euph sections in their military bands.

To me, the sound leans somewhat towards a trombone sound where the "normal" euphonium is more "mellow". In the lower register, to me, it sounds more like a bass trombone than a tuba.

A fun instrument, and this is a REALLY pretty one. If you play in a German band ...
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Thank you for your comment. In my observation have rotary valves a little bit shorter action. It is a shorter path to full pressing. This is confirmed by the comments of players who have never played on the piston instrument. They are not able to play fast on piston valve instrument and it is very entertaining to watch them. But I not say that instruments with rotary valves are better at all. I'm so happy that I discovered British Euphonium. But I am probably the only Euphonium player in the Czech Republic! )

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    This looks like a nice horn. Note (signature below) that I actually own an Amati oval euphonium (1965 vintage).

I would not compare it to a sports car, but it is huge fun to play. For me, a piston horn seems a bit faster, but the Germans and Czechs really rip on these oval euphs. Look for performances on Youtube. The Russians like them for euph sections in their military bands.

To me, the sound leans somewhat towards a trombone sound where the "normal" euphonium is more "mellow". In the lower register, to me, it sounds more like a bass trombone than a tuba.

A fun instrument, and this is a REALLY pretty one. If you play in a German band ...
    Jan Vundr
    York Eminence 4052 Euphonium
    SKODA AUTO Wind Band, Czech Republic | www.brassmaniac.com
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    York Bb Tuba | Amati oval Euphonium | Denis Wick 3AL (silver finish with golden cup & rim)

Is this still available? . Would you ship to the states?