• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coolguy684
    • Feb 2011

Coming Back after a 3 year hiatus

Hi all,

I've decided to dust off my euphonium case and get back into it. I lubed up the valves of my 967 Globe Stamp and they were as reliable as ever. Truly, a world-class instrument.
    So the instrument is ready to go, now we have to get the player ready to go. Any advice on how I should learn? I have an Arban book. Should I just start from there and progress through it?

Thanks, and it's good to be back (:
    Christopher Chen
    bolded are for sale
    B&H 967 - Globe Stamp
    B&H 960 (3 valve comp euph) - Globe Stamp
    Salvation Army Triumphonic Eb Alto, silver plated

On the lookout for:
    Silver plated:
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Alto/Tenor Horn
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Baritone (3 valve)

York/Sterling/LMI variants accepted
  • tampaworth
    • Nov 2010

I'll take a stab at this one and am sure there will be multiple opinions I think it all depends on your goals. If they involve reattaining skills for highly technical repertoire such as solos and concertos, then a more formal approach such as Arban could be the way. Personally I like to have more fun while practicing and although I don't like to embarrass myself, my goals are not so lofty. In that light, maybe someone could suggest some etude books which will satisfy your musical appetite while honing your skills. Sort of like Bordogni and Blazevich for the Tuba. Ideas?
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

• RickF
      • Jan 2006

Welcome back 'coolguy'. I remember your user name and wasn't aware that you had taken a break.

Tampaworth makes good suggestions. I might add plenty of long tones - which is always recommended.
      Rick Floyd
      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
      Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)
      ​

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Arban should be a daily-use book for a while, but maybe not the ONLY thing you play. If you have the Complete Conservatory Edition you actually can do a lot with it. That one has a bunch of short 3-line (or so) songs in the middle that are excellent practice for musicality. Your daily routine should include a warm-up covering scales, arpeggios, etc. The Arban songs, or the etudes near the back, or the solos in the back could provide more amusement.

But you might want to visit:

http://www.bandmusicpdf.org/

Look through their titles and grab any euphonium parts that seem interesting to you. It's free!
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• ghmerrill
          • Dec 2011

Rochut's "Melodious Etudes for Trombone" (vocalises of Bordogni).
          Gary Merrill
          Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
          Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
          Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
          1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
          Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
          1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• Jrpetty24
            • Dec 2013

One thing I've learned in college when I have to come back from a break or something where I have been unable to play for too long(from 2-3 days up to a month...) back to everyday all day playing. My number one is get some simple long tones for part of your warm up. I start with long tones going down into the low register then start over going into the high register. One book that I used to use frequently that does this very well is David Vining's Daily Routine books. Every section is devoted to a different technique or skill such as articulation, dynamics, range, flexibility, etc. and also a bonus long tone section in the back. Each section starts with a mild warmup to get your face going before you do more difficult exercises, progressively harder as you go through each section.

I second the Rochut/Bordogni Etudes. I use those regularly in my practice and in lessons. great for building musicality!

Two octave scales are enormously helpful. It doesnt matter if you can't play everything perfectly especially high register, a regular dose of scales will help to build stamina and range in the long run.

Slurs are to me are second only to long tones when it come to building up muscle strength again, there are a variety of them and you can make them up too! the brass gym is another source like david vinings book that have specific exercises like slurs and tongue coordination that you can use to build back up.

Above all, take nothing faster than beautiful, but no slower than you can be challenged enough to get better. Many of us practice too fast and it simply doesn't help. Slow lip slurs will work you muscles greatly and build them up faster than inaccurate fast slurs. Focus on finding YOUR sound again and have fun
            Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
            Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

Comment

• highpitch
              • Mar 2006

+1 Rochut/Bordogni Etudes

DDG

Comment

• John the Theologian
                • Apr 2013

Dave, thanks for posting the link to the band music above. It's really a feast of plenty. I often use baritone parts from classic marches as practice pieces since they are both interesting and often technically challenging. However, the link lists over 1400 marches, many of which I'm unfamiliar with. Do you have any suggestions for a dozen or so that would have especially useful baritone parts to use as practice pieces?

Comment

• dsurkin
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ghmerrill View Post
                  Nice music, but I find the tessatura pretty high for a returnee like me (high A is chancy and I get tired hitting Gs after ten minutes).
                  Dean L. Surkin
                  Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
                  Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
                  Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
                  See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• Davidus1
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by ghmerrill View Post
                    The Rochut books are great. Lot of fun to play.
                    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                    Yamaha 354 Trombone
                    Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• tonewheeler
                      • Dec 2010

How about joining a community band -or- by judging your brass arsenal...a brass band?
                      Euphs:
                      Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
                      Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
                      Yamaha 201 Baritone
                      Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
                      Groups:
                      The San Diego Concert Band

Comment

• John the Theologian
                        • Apr 2013

Still looking for suggestions for classic march parts to use as practice exercises as per the post above.

Comment

• davewerden
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2005

John,

This is somewhat personal choice. Keep an eye on auditions lists for some advice.

Stars and Stripes, obviously.

Glory of the Yankee Navy

Nobles of the Mystic Shrine

El Capitan (fine little counter melody in one short section)

Hands Across the Sea

Bravura

Carrollton

Manhattan Beach

Colonel Bogey

I didn't check the site to see if all these are there. But don't limit yourself! Download a bunch and have fun with them - it will help your style and sight reading.
                          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                          YouTube: dwerden
                          Facebook: davewerden
                          Twitter: davewerden
                          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• John the Theologian
                            • Apr 2013

Dave, thanks very much. Great suggestions to check out on the site.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I already have several from our summer community band where we usually play a march or two every concert. However, suggestions are very helpful since the number available is so large to go through.

Comment

• John the Theologian
                              • Apr 2013

One more thing. Where are audition lists usually posted? It's a great suggestion, but I'm not sure where to find them.

Comment

Working...
                              X