Thread: Library of Congress Sousa Sheet Music Collection

Library of Congress Sousa Sheet Music Collection

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/se...tlesort&label=

The Library of congress has a huge collection of Sousa material, including individual parts and scores for a great deal of his music, from marches to other music. These are mostly in their original published form and in the public domain. Much of the material is available as PDF files you can print. The link above is the first page of this collection, which has over 700 individual entries.

You can also search for individual march titles, but this link is a good starting point. As a resource for practice material, it's extraordinary, and you can print copies of any of the parts where they exist.

This may have been posted before, but it's worth reposting.
    3-valve Blessing B-350 Euphonium

Thanks for posting. Very interesting to go through them.

Thanks Garcky for the reminder of this excellent resource. I've used that resource several times when we needed parts to a Sousa march that went missing.

Mr. Loras Schissel is in charge of the Sousa collection at the Library of Congress. He had a program on PBS several years ago entitled, "If You Knew Sousa Like I Knew Sousa". Mr. Schissel is also a composer, arranger and excellent conductor for the Virginia Grand Military Band. We here at Symphonic Band of Palm Beaches were fortunate to have him as guest conductor a couple of times years ago. Excellent ear, and pretty demanding. He was a tuba player when a student.

There's an excellent YouTube video of Mr. Schissel working with the U.S. Army Band, Pershing's Own on how to correctly play Sousa marches. It was just recorded a couple of months ago in October, but is pretty long at over an hour. If interested, see this link:

"Secrets to Successful Sousa: Exploring the composer's own symphonic interpretation of his marches"
    Last edited by RickF; 12-31-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Since I'm just starting to learn euphonium, I found this resource to be really valuable in giving me a source for music to practice with for sight reading and learning parts I may be playing once I join a local community band. When I have some time, I'll watch that video, for sure. I'm sure I'll be playing different arrangements later, but these parts are extremely useful to me.

I've also found many resources by searching for audition excerpts for euphonium. Different organizations publish excerpts in PDF format for auditioners to practice, and those are also good sources for practice material. I'm operating on a tight budget, so I haven't purchased a lot of material yet. At my current stage, I'm spending most of my time learning and playing scales and working on tone production, articulation and intonation, but I try to read through something during each practice session, too. It's often a bit ugly and slow, but excerpts are still helpful to me, even at this early stage.

Practice sessions are still relatively short for me, as I build embouchure strength, and I'm stopping when muscle fatigue begins to affect tone production, so it's two shorter sessions each day for now. I'm hoping those sessions keep getting longer and longer, though, as I build endurance. It's all an interesting process for this old woodwind player.

I just finished watching this, and it was fascinating to hear his depth of knowledge of how Sousa himself interpreted his music. Thanks for the link!

There's a lot of other instrumental music for bands in the collection. It takes some creative searching to find it all, though. I had some success with the following searches on the website:

Band
    Baritone
    Euphonium
    Dance
    Waltz
    Instrumental Parts