Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Mack Brass euphonium: valve compression

Most gig bags when set down with its handle up orient the horn with the 4th valve down. Maybe this image will help you visualize:

Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I think this photo might help more. Imagine the horn sitting on it's 4th-valve side. Seems like the water in the 4th tube could run into the 4th valve. That's especially true if you consider tipping the horn one way or the other to get it in the case or to move the case to its stored position.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bench 1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	3346
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Rick's picture perfectly illustrates my point. Imagine playing the euph; water collects in the bottom of the 4th loop. When you return it to its case, you set the bow into its place, then lower the bell--unless, that is, you put the bell down first and then lower the bow! Anyway, if you put the bow down first, the water is still in the bottom of the 4th loop. Then you lower the bell, and, because the bell end is higher than the bow end, the water remains in the bottom of the 4th loop. Of course if you carry the horn, then the water may slosh. and anything that makes it past the sharp bend and goes down into the 4th valve is not going to come back up into the loop unless the horn gets flipped into the right orientation to allow the water to drain back into the loop.

Anyway, I can easily see how some water is likely to get into the valve most of the time, and the best way to prevent it is to empty that slide after every playing session. But some people may often put their horn on a stand or may handle it in ways that would keep the water in the loop; it doesn't seem to me that the water will ALWAYS end up in the valve. And if the valve seals fairly tightly, with its upper end somewhat elevated, it doesn't seem to me that much water will necessarily reach the pads, which is the main point at issue. I can see how water might well reach the pads, but it doesn't seem to me a given that it will necessarily do so.

Nice gig bag, by the way, Rick! I like the way it holds the horn so securely.

Randy

That's the Marcus Bonna case (borrowed image from the web). I just happen to see one of these in person last night after band rehearsal. We had a new euphonium player join our band last night. He just got an Adams with the frosted silver finish. Beautiful horn that he bought slightly used about a month ago. That type case has to be one of the best I think - but unfortunately about the only euph that won't fit is mine... the M50505.
    Last edited by RickF; 08-25-2015 at 02:48 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I see on the web that it's a hard case, not a gig bag. But the price tag makes a guy gag! Still, it sure looks like a case to admire, and especially for people who take their horn on airplanes, I don't doubt that it's worth the money.

Randy,
    If you, or anyone else for that matter, is interested in a case like the Marcus Bonna Case, Brandon Jones has a John Packer case for sale - which is supposed to be exactly like the Bonna case here for $250.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Funny how this thread ends up all over the place, topic wise. Kind of like real-life conversations. That Packer case would be interesting if I didn't already have too much money tied up in euph stuff. Hopefully it'll find a good and loving home.

8. The fourth valve is "louder" than the other three valves. When I depress valves 1-3 they have a much quieter sound, where as the 4th valve makes a very loud sound when fully depressed and when it comes back to the top. It may be from the spring, I'm not sure.

As for the water issue, I do my best to completely get out all the water from the horn before storage. I blow through the horn with all the valves depressed, in different combinations and such. Afterwards I take out all of the slides and empty them before putting the horn away. Even if the horn sits for a couple of days. there is still some water/condensation that sits inside the valve area of the fourth valve, causing the aforementioned saturated felt washer problem.

If you would like a video of the sounds that the valves make, I could upload one to Youtube and upload it into this thread.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678