Thread: Le Cygne (The Swan) from Carnival of the Animals

Le Cygne (The Swan) from Carnival of the Animals

I'd like to perform this solo next semester and I want to order a copy of it, but there's quite a few arrangements of it. I was wondering if anyone's performed this work and I want to get some opinions (if possible) on some of the different arrangements before I decide on one. Thanks!
    Al
    Valencia College 2013
    UCF (GO KNIGHTS!)
    Studying Music Education as a Major

Weapons of Brass Destruction -
    Euphonium - 1969 Besson Imperial with a Denis Wick SM3U Mouthpiece
    Tenor Trombone - 2011 Getzen Eterna with a Schilke 51 D Mouthpiece

I play in various ensembles at Rollins College, the University of Central Florida, and anywhere else that needs either a Trombone or Euphonium player in the Central Florida area.

One thing to look for is the key in which the arrangement is in. I think the most common on Euphonium, and also the most virtuosic is the one in Eb. Knowing I cant comfortably play that, I went with an arrangement in Bb(the highest not in the piece.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

I know this thread is a few years old, but I just saw a new video of "The Swan" (Saint-Saëns, arr. Drew Fennell) played by Matonizz. Gorgeous tone, pitch perfect and excellent phrasing! Matonizz has links for sheet music if interested.

Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

The Snell arrangement is good - full brass band parts and solo are fairly cheap
    SWAN; THE (euph) - Parts & Score - Just Music - Brass Band Music and CDs (justmusicuk.com)

PDF of the solo part there for reading through.

The baritone GOAT Katrina Marzella just owning this arrangement:
    (2) The Swan played by Katrina Marzella with National Youth Brass Band of Scotland - YouTube
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

5. Robert Elkjer did a trombone quartet of The Swan. Really beautiful, even though it's in Gb (6 flats). This tune can get a little disorienting because of the chromaticism and range (goes to Db - octave plus half step above middle C). The second part is slow arpeggiated chords, and 3rd and 4th parts are easy potato notes.

https://robertelkjer.net/TrbnQuartetPage12.html

https://robertelkjer.net/Swan4TbnClip.mp3

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I know this thread is a few years old, but I just saw a new video of "The Swan" (Saint-Saëns, arr. Drew Fennell) played by Matonizz. Gorgeous tone, pitch perfect and excellent phrasing! Matonizz has links for sheet music if interested.
    That is a really, really nice performance by Matonizz, simply gorgeous. That arrangement is in Eb with a high Bb as the top note. I think that is the same key that Katrina (baritone) plays it in. In my opinion, it just doesn't get any nicer than what Matonizz did (and Katrina of course).

He plays a really long phrase towards the end in one breath, don't think there is circular breathing there. I surely cannot do that at this stage in my life (and being a former smoker for many years). Stunning performance.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 06-01-2021 at 03:27 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

John wrote,
    He plays a really long phrase towards the end in one breath, don't think there is circular breathing there. I surely cannot do that at this stage in my life (and being a former smoker for many years). Stunning performance.
    Agreed! I watched it a couple of times and don’t see circular breathing. On my music at #3 I have NB marked (no breath), but don’t think I could do that today. This recording is one of the best on euph I’ve heard for sure.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Ooooo, I LOVE a challenge! I'm overqualified for AARP myself, but I may try that phrase near the end. The loud part is up high, which saves air, and then you are in a diminuendo, so...maybe. But I can't try it for a few days. I've sworn off euphonium until Saturday because I want to record one or two things on tuba Friday. I CAN double on the two in practice, but I think my tone will be better if I stick with just tuba. It's worse now because the horn has been in the case for several years and I only got back to it Sunday.

The phrase in The Swan could be too much for me, but that one is hard to predict. I never smoked, but my allergies have led to asthma that limits how deep I can dig into my air supply. It'll be fun to try, though!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Ooooo, I LOVE a challenge! I'm overqualified for AARP myself, but I may try that phrase near the end. The loud part is up high, which saves air, and then you are in a diminuendo, so...maybe. But I can't try it for a few days. I've sworn off euphonium until Saturday because I want to record one or two things on tuba Friday. I CAN double on the two in practice, but I think my tone will be better if I stick with just tuba. It's worse now because the horn has been in the case for several years and I only got back to it Sunday.

The phrase in The Swan could be too much for me, but that one is hard to predict. I never smoked, but my allergies have led to asthma that limits how deep I can dig into my air supply. It'll be fun to try, though!
    Dave,

Me thinks you can do it. You played an exercise out of the Arban book, I believe, was a ton of notes, and did it in one breath. I tried it, and won't tell you where I had to take a breath(s)!!

Now, in high school, I could do that phrase in one breath, but that was a couple of years ago.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)