Thread: New Sackbuts!!

1. New Sackbuts!!

Those of you that double on trombone may be interested to know that Wessex has out new alto, tenor and bass sackbut.

USA - http://www.wessex-tubas.com/product-...bones/sackbut/
    UK (and International) - http://www.wessex-tubas.co.uk/produc...bones/sackbut/

www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

I have heard of sackbuts on the Trombone Forum, but I'm still curious about them. What is their purpose? How are they different from regular trombones?

As to mechanical construction differencess I don't know, but they are used for time period correct renditions of pieces and works from the Renaissance and Baroque eras. Take a look at Wikipedia, it has some more mechanical differences. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sackbut
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

I almost wish I had been fired from a job somewhere so I could talk about the last time I got my butt sacked :-P
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

I'm a big booster of Wessex stuff in general as everything I've tried has played great and seemed to be really high quality, but I am deeply skeptical of these. I don't believe it's possible to get a really good playing sackbut without using all seamed tubing, flat bell stays, nurenburg rim, and hand-burnished (not spun) bell from extremely thin brass. I own instruments from Ewald Meinl and have tried Egger, Tomes, Webb, Collier, etc. and I don't believe copying just the bore and bell profile is enough to make a good reproduction historic trombone. These remind me of the old Bohm and Meinl-made instruments that were sold by Giardinelli which were pretty terrible in every respect. The rim on the supplied mouthpiece looks more like a 19th century mouthpiece than an appropriate renaissance or baroque trombone mouthpiece.

I realize some concessions to modern playability and affordable manufacture are inevitable if not desirable, but you can't just change the nature of the instrument completely.

I'm looking forward to trying them, and will do so with an open mind, but what I'm seeing does not excite me at this point.

Were specific museum originals used as a basis for these designs or did someone just eyeball a sackbut-like bell shape and put it on a small bore instrument?
    Last edited by bbocaner; 12-28-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    I almost wish I had been fired from a job somewhere so I could talk about the last time I got my butt sacked :-P
    That was the XO at the Navy Band. He's just a trombone player now.