• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by SonicEuph View Post
    I've recently, for the past 6 months, been suffering from pain starting in neck and emitting towards forearm, wrist and even fingertips, esp. in moments of stress as well as carrying heavy objects. As a result my playing has fallen from everyday exercise and/or rehearsals to one or two rehearsals a week. Therapy helps slightly but not enough and herniation has not been diagnosed although symptoms are alike. Would this handstrap device help keeping away the pain?
    Good question! Frankly, I don't know if the strap will help a lot, because I'm guessing the problem starts up higher. The finger sensations may be due to stresses at the neck/shoulder. However, the strap is not expensive and should reduce stress slightly, so I would suggest getting one. It may help a little.

You might also order the new lap pillow that the same company offers. That will reduce stress while sitting and playing, unless your body happens to fit the horn perfectly with no effort on your part.

I have some upper-back pain sometimes from playing. Usually that is when I've been stressed, and/or when I'm out of shape and working to get back in shape. My physical therapist should me some exercises that help (if I'm careful to do them regularly!). That could be something to try.

First, though, I'd get a video camera (or smart phone) set up where you can play. Take a video from the front, and then do the same thing from the side (slightly to the rear). Sit as comfortably as you can with the horn on the floor beside you. Use good posture, so you are able to breath and also see the music well (you can pretend the stand is there so the video can see you). Then get the horn and play a bit. Compare your back and shoulder alignment especially, and possibly the the angles your arms take on. Generally, if something is awkward to cause these stress injuries, you can see them if you look carefully. You might want to have someone else who knows you well watch them as well.

Don't let it go on long! See a doctor or a PT, or figure it out via the above.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

Working...
    X