Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Euphonium Hand Strap - EHS-001

1. Euphonium Hand Strap - EHS-001

Hello all,

I wanted to provide a quick review of Executive Systems West (ESW) new product, the Euphonium Hand Strap (EHS-001). ESW are the manufacturers of the Quick Horn Rinse that many of us have purchased and use regularly. I recently saw a Facebook posting by Bill Ricker, the proprietor of ESW, that showed a picture of the EHS-001 and decided that for $25+$5 for shipping I'd purchase one and try it.

Take a close look at the EHS below and you will see that the strap attaches with a Velcro loop around the outer branch of your horn, below the 4th valve. An adjustable fabric strap can loop around the webbing of your left hand, allowing you to support the horn with your left hand without having to grip the horn tightly.

My motivation in purchasing his device was to improve the ergonomics of holding my Sterling Virtuoso and reduce the stress on my tendonitis-prone left arm. I have found the combination of the heavy weight of my Sterling, the stiff thumb operated trigger, and the need to hold the horn away from the body to clear the tuning slide from my belly all increased the stress on my left arm and hand. This was probably the cause of an onset of tendonitis that was nearly debilitating this last year.

The EHS strap is very simple to install and use and meets my expectations. By looping the support strap around the webbing of my hand I can keep it from interfering with either thumb or forefinger. Further, I no longer need keep a death-grip on the horn with my left hand, so the fingers are more relaxed, and operation of the trigger with my thumb and 4th valve with my index finger is decoupled more easily.

I am finding that this strap exactly meets my expectations. It makes the Sterling easier to hold when standing and somewhat easier to control when seated. Please note, however, that I only use it on my Sterling, not on my triggerless Besson Sovereign. The Sterling is heavier, has a stiff trigger, and has stiffer valve springs. My Sovereign is lighter, and the elimination of the trigger makes it easier to hold and support against my body, so the strap is superfluous.

If you have any questions, feel free to respond to this posting and I can share some experiences.

Sincerely,
    Doug Ruby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Euph-strap01.jpg   Euph-strap02.jpg  
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Thanks, Doug. I've been wondering about that (saw it posted on Facebook a few days ago). Sound like a handy little accessory.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks, Doug. I was waiting for a review to be posted. I may order one for my Jinbao after payday. Wait a minute -- today is the 31st -- it IS payday! Hurray!
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Got one today--maybe I just have to get used to it.
    Thought it would be golden for my heavy-as-heck 5050.
    Doug, how did you discover the right tightness around your hand?
    Right now, I'm not feeling much benefit, but that could be user density.
    Or it could well be that I'm so studly strong that I don't need it...
    Jim

5. Jim,

I adjusted the hand band so that it was firmly tight around the webbing of my left hand when I hold the horn at the right height. The major benefit for me is that I carry the weight of the horn through the webbing of my thumb rather than having to grip with my fingers so tightly. This keeps the trigger thumb and 4th valve forefinger relaxed.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Now that I have one as well I did a review on the blog:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...d-Strap-Review
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Been curious about adapting this thing for euph as well; http://members.aon.at/tubtub.at/page_4_1.html

Quote Originally Posted by DaTweeka View Post
    Been curious about adapting this thing for euph as well; http://members.aon.at/tubtub.at/page_4_1.html
    I would not think so, but... who knows?

For a tuba strap around the hips, there is not a lot of playing restriction, other than angle. But for a euphonium a similar strap would have to be around the waist or chest. That would be restrictive for a single strap. But I suppose a harness type of thing could do the trick... maybe.

Feeling inventive? Go for it! We await a progress report and photos!!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Now that I have one as well I did a review on the blog:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...d-Strap-Review
    Thanks, Dave. I think I can see one of these in my future.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I would not think so, but... who knows?

For a tuba strap around the hips, there is not a lot of playing restriction, other than angle. But for a euphonium a similar strap would have to be around the waist or chest. That would be restrictive for a single strap. But I suppose a harness type of thing could do the trick... maybe.

Feeling inventive? Go for it! We await a progress report and photos!!
    As usual, I was just throwing it out there. I'm looking into ways to pull the stress off your arms/shoulders/back for left hand motility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast