• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daruby
    • Apr 2006

Euphonium Hand Strap - EHS-001

Hello all,

I wanted to provide a quick review of Executive Systems West (ESW) new product, the Euphonium Hand Strap (EHS-001). ESW are the manufacturers of the Quick Horn Rinse that many of us have purchased and use regularly. I recently saw a Facebook posting by Bill Ricker, the proprietor of ESW, that showed a picture of the EHS-001 and decided that for $25+$5 for shipping I'd purchase one and try it.

Take a close look at the EHS below and you will see that the strap attaches with a Velcro loop around the outer branch of your horn, below the 4th valve. An adjustable fabric strap can loop around the webbing of your left hand, allowing you to support the horn with your left hand without having to grip the horn tightly.

My motivation in purchasing his device was to improve the ergonomics of holding my Sterling Virtuoso and reduce the stress on my tendonitis-prone left arm. I have found the combination of the heavy weight of my Sterling, the stiff thumb operated trigger, and the need to hold the horn away from the body to clear the tuning slide from my belly all increased the stress on my left arm and hand. This was probably the cause of an onset of tendonitis that was nearly debilitating this last year.

The EHS strap is very simple to install and use and meets my expectations. By looping the support strap around the webbing of my hand I can keep it from interfering with either thumb or forefinger. Further, I no longer need keep a death-grip on the horn with my left hand, so the fingers are more relaxed, and operation of the trigger with my thumb and 4th valve with my index finger is decoupled more easily.

I am finding that this strap exactly meets my expectations. It makes the Sterling easier to hold when standing and somewhat easier to control when seated. Please note, however, that I only use it on my Sterling, not on my triggerless Besson Sovereign. The Sterling is heavier, has a stiff trigger, and has stiffer valve springs. My Sovereign is lighter, and the elimination of the trigger makes it easier to hold and support against my body, so the strap is superfluous.

If you have any questions, feel free to respond to this posting and I can share some experiences.

Sincerely,
    Doug Ruby
    Attached Files
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Thanks, Doug. I've been wondering about that (saw it posted on Facebook a few days ago). Sound like a handy little accessory.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• DaveBj
      • Oct 2011

Thanks, Doug. I was waiting for a review to be posted. I may order one for my Jinbao after payday. Wait a minute -- today is the 31st -- it IS payday! Hurray!
      David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
      2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
      2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
      2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
      Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
      Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

• Snorlax
        • Mar 2007

Got one today--maybe I just have to get used to it.
        Thought it would be golden for my heavy-as-heck 5050.
        Doug, how did you discover the right tightness around your hand?
        Right now, I'm not feeling much benefit, but that could be user density.
        Or it could well be that I'm so studly strong that I don't need it...
        Jim
        Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
        Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
        bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
        Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
        Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
        Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
        www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• daruby
          • Apr 2006

Jim,

I adjusted the hand band so that it was firmly tight around the webbing of my left hand when I hold the horn at the right height. The major benefit for me is that I carry the weight of the horn through the webbing of my thumb rather than having to grip with my fingers so tightly. This keeps the trigger thumb and 4th valve forefinger relaxed.

Doug
          Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
          Concord Band
          Winchendon Winds
          Townsend Military Band

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Now that I have one as well I did a review on the blog:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...d-Strap-Review
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• DaTweeka
              • Jun 2012

Been curious about adapting this thing for euph as well; http://members.aon.at/tubtub.at/page_4_1.html

Comment

• davewerden
                Administrator
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by DaTweeka View Post
                Been curious about adapting this thing for euph as well; http://members.aon.at/tubtub.at/page_4_1.html
                I would not think so, but... who knows?

For a tuba strap around the hips, there is not a lot of playing restriction, other than angle. But for a euphonium a similar strap would have to be around the waist or chest. That would be restrictive for a single strap. But I suppose a harness type of thing could do the trick... maybe.

Feeling inventive? Go for it! We await a progress report and photos!!
                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• DaveBj
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
                  Now that I have one as well I did a review on the blog:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...d-Strap-Review
                  Thanks, Dave. I think I can see one of these in my future.
                  David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
                  2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
                  2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
                  2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
                  Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
                  Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

• DaTweeka
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
                    I would not think so, but... who knows?

For a tuba strap around the hips, there is not a lot of playing restriction, other than angle. But for a euphonium a similar strap would have to be around the waist or chest. That would be restrictive for a single strap. But I suppose a harness type of thing could do the trick... maybe.

Feeling inventive? Go for it! We await a progress report and photos!!
                    As usual, I was just throwing it out there. I'm looking into ways to pull the stress off your arms/shoulders/back for left hand motility.

Comment

• davewerden
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by DaTweeka View Post
                      ...I'm looking into ways to pull the stress off your arms/shoulders/back for left hand motility.
                      I totally hear you! As early as 25-30 years ago I noticed the strain on my arm/wrist from my 967. While the British-made 967's were not the lightest horns around, newer horns can add even more challenge because of the weight and operation of the trigger. An overuse injury I suffered in those days still plagues me today, so we all need to be aware of such things. Naturally, prevention is better than cure!

For years I was a strong proponent of the Stewart Euphonium Stand because it made really long concert/rehearsal sessions much more comfortable. Today I use a pillow instead, but the goal is the same - limiting strain. Either of those is fine when sitting, but our options are more limited when standing. I know a lot of players like the Ergo system, which I have not found practical for me, but it's all a personal decision. Bill's solution in this case may not totally relieve the effort, but it seems to focus the effort away from the fingers and toward the hand itself, where there is more strength. That's a good start!
                      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                      Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• Msan1313
                        • May 2014

I just got mine and am curious
                        Did you guys cut off the excess fabric or did you just leave it?
                        Marco Santos - Marcher and Performer
                        Guardians Drum & Bugle Corps 2015
                        Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps 2016, 20i7, 2018

Adams E1
                        Modified Schilke 52E2 by Justin Gorodetzky

Comment

• davewerden
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2005

I did not feel a need to do anything to mine. But maybe my hands are bigger so there is less leftover fabric?? In any event, I usually avoid cutting things like that off. I worry about the end unraveling over time.
                          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                          Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• ghmerrill
                            • Dec 2011

This thread allows me to raise a question I've been concerned with recently, and that this strap might address. I play the horn by setting it on a padded board that lies across my knees. This puts it at the right height and relieves me of supporting it with arm strength. But I find that as I'm holding and playing the horn, the tubing of the first valve slide tends to dig into my inner left arm. This is more pronounced when I'm wearing a short-sleeve shirt. It's pretty irritating, particularly over a lengthy practice session.

Am I just holding this thing wrong? It's starts out pretty comfortably, and I hold it as I do to get comfortable and effective access to the 4th valve.

Any thoughts? Maybe my board doesn't quite it it to just the right height? Do you think this strap might help?
                            Gary Merrill
                            Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
                            Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
                            Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
                            1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
                            Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
                            1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• SonicEuph
                              • Dec 2010

I've recently, for the past 6 months, been suffering from pain starting in neck and emitting towards forearm, wrist and even fingertips, esp. in moments of stress as well as carrying heavy objects. As a result my playing has fallen from everyday exercise and/or rehearsals to one or two rehearsals a week. Therapy helps slightly but not enough and herniation has not been diagnosed although symptoms are alike. Would this handstrap device help keeping away the pain?

Comment

Working...
                              X