Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Euphonium Hand Strap - EHS-001

Quote Originally Posted by DaTweeka View Post
    ...I'm looking into ways to pull the stress off your arms/shoulders/back for left hand motility.
    I totally hear you! As early as 25-30 years ago I noticed the strain on my arm/wrist from my 967. While the British-made 967's were not the lightest horns around, newer horns can add even more challenge because of the weight and operation of the trigger. An overuse injury I suffered in those days still plagues me today, so we all need to be aware of such things. Naturally, prevention is better than cure!

For years I was a strong proponent of the Stewart Euphonium Stand because it made really long concert/rehearsal sessions much more comfortable. Today I use a pillow instead, but the goal is the same - limiting strain. Either of those is fine when sitting, but our options are more limited when standing. I know a lot of players like the Ergo system, which I have not found practical for me, but it's all a personal decision. Bill's solution in this case may not totally relieve the effort, but it seems to focus the effort away from the fingers and toward the hand itself, where there is more strength. That's a good start!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I just got mine and am curious
    Did you guys cut off the excess fabric or did you just leave it?

I did not feel a need to do anything to mine. But maybe my hands are bigger so there is less leftover fabric?? In any event, I usually avoid cutting things like that off. I worry about the end unraveling over time.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

This thread allows me to raise a question I've been concerned with recently, and that this strap might address. I play the horn by setting it on a padded board that lies across my knees. This puts it at the right height and relieves me of supporting it with arm strength. But I find that as I'm holding and playing the horn, the tubing of the first valve slide tends to dig into my inner left arm. This is more pronounced when I'm wearing a short-sleeve shirt. It's pretty irritating, particularly over a lengthy practice session.

Am I just holding this thing wrong? It's starts out pretty comfortably, and I hold it as I do to get comfortable and effective access to the 4th valve.

Any thoughts? Maybe my board doesn't quite it it to just the right height? Do you think this strap might help?
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

5. I've recently, for the past 6 months, been suffering from pain starting in neck and emitting towards forearm, wrist and even fingertips, esp. in moments of stress as well as carrying heavy objects. As a result my playing has fallen from everyday exercise and/or rehearsals to one or two rehearsals a week. Therapy helps slightly but not enough and herniation has not been diagnosed although symptoms are alike. Would this handstrap device help keeping away the pain?

Quote Originally Posted by SonicEuph View Post
    I've recently, for the past 6 months, been suffering from pain starting in neck and emitting towards forearm, wrist and even fingertips, esp. in moments of stress as well as carrying heavy objects. As a result my playing has fallen from everyday exercise and/or rehearsals to one or two rehearsals a week. Therapy helps slightly but not enough and herniation has not been diagnosed although symptoms are alike. Would this handstrap device help keeping away the pain?
    Good question! Frankly, I don't know if the strap will help a lot, because I'm guessing the problem starts up higher. The finger sensations may be due to stresses at the neck/shoulder. However, the strap is not expensive and should reduce stress slightly, so I would suggest getting one. It may help a little.

You might also order the new lap pillow that the same company offers. That will reduce stress while sitting and playing, unless your body happens to fit the horn perfectly with no effort on your part.

I have some upper-back pain sometimes from playing. Usually that is when I've been stressed, and/or when I'm out of shape and working to get back in shape. My physical therapist should me some exercises that help (if I'm careful to do them regularly!). That could be something to try.

First, though, I'd get a video camera (or smart phone) set up where you can play. Take a video from the front, and then do the same thing from the side (slightly to the rear). Sit as comfortably as you can with the horn on the floor beside you. Use good posture, so you are able to breath and also see the music well (you can pretend the stand is there so the video can see you). Then get the horn and play a bit. Compare your back and shoulder alignment especially, and possibly the the angles your arms take on. Generally, if something is awkward to cause these stress injuries, you can see them if you look carefully. You might want to have someone else who knows you well watch them as well.

Don't let it go on long! See a doctor or a PT, or figure it out via the above.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12