Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Don't even know the questions to ask....help

1. Here's my take on new Wessex (or equivalent) vs used, specifically for a middle schooler. First off, if price and functionality are a wash your son should have some input into the decision at his age. With a choice in the matter he may take to it more. We're all different. You would know if he's someone who digs "new and shiny" vs. "older with character." If considering the used market you obviously have to be careful to avoid a dud. There are two members over at Tubenet (Bloke and TubaTinker) who are interested in player development and would know of appropriate quality used instruments. Their opinions and advice are sought after and well regarded .If you told them you were looking for a Tuba for your son I'm sure they would steer you in the correct direction. A final thought, it's common for newbie motorcyclists to dump their first bike at least once. As Roy Orbison sang, you may be "Cryyyyyying" over a brand new tuba getting its first battle scars or allowing it all to take place with a bit less drama on a more resilient used Tuba with perhaps a bit thicker brass when the inevitable occurs.
    Last edited by tampaworth; 10-31-2014 at 07:56 AM.
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

The thing about buying used is exactly the points that have been brought up. I know NOTHING..... I'm sure his band director could help me and thank you for the names of some help on the other forum (I'll have to stick my head in over there and see what it is all about). I'm trying to learn and I'm doing the best I can. Luckily (maybe) I live near Dallas and there are several music shops that do repairs (but I'm not sure if they work on tubas) that could possibly do a 'vet check' of a used horn for me....if such a thing is ever done. I don't know.

A new one seems like the best bet to me. But, like Tampaworth said, I think asking my kiddo what he thinks and wants is a good idea as he is the one who will be using it - not me.

You might want to see this post about Dallas repairs:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...s-Repair-Shops
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. I would encourage getting a second horn - (1 for school and 1 for home) When I was young (I think Lincoln was president - ;-) ) we had "crusty old" Holton sousaphones at the high school, and at a local music store my parents purchased a "crusty old" Conn sousaphone for home use - for the huge sum of $194.50. (Why do I still remember that?) Eventually the school purchased "slick new" Holton fiberglass horns. When I managed to get in the all state band, my parents popped for a "slick new" 4v upright with a soft case that I kept at home to avoid dents etc. The "slick new" tuba I only took to school for concerts and then I was able use the car to keep it safe. Yes, you could probably find a used horn for the price of a case. Even pros often have a 'stage horn' and one for home or studio practice. Schlepping that beast is not really much fun.

BTW: A very happy Thanksgiving to all you euphers and tubers out there, and especially to Dave in appreciation for hosting such an informative, fun and friendly site.
    Last edited by paulmaybery; 11-27-2014 at 12:35 PM.
    BMB F tuba 445s
    BMB CC (BAT) 865s
    Mack Euphonium 1150s
    Wessex F Cimbasso

I'm wrestling with my hubby about buying a tuba for home. And then there is the question of what to buy; new vs used, 3/4 vs full (which I doubt he can even play right now), etc. His birthday is the day after Christmas so my time is running out if it is going to be a 'gift'.

I really, really appreciate all the insight from all of you pros!! In my heart of hearts I really want to just buy one for home and be done with it all.

On an up note he has his first concert next Thursday!! ::Proud Mom Moment::

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123