Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't even know the questions to ask....help

I never thought about having the case fixed at a luggage repair shop. Thanks Bbocaner!!

I will gather more information and pictures this evening and we shall go from there.

RickF - I was a bit worried about trying to get the tuba and case in my Prius but it fits just fine. Now a bigger one....I'm not so sure. LOL

Always worth asking the school if they can provide a tuba for home and keep one at the school for practice. If they're short on tuba players, they may have some extra horns on hand.

If you're going to look for a used tuba or try to borrow a second one, you need to know what key his current tuba is. When he plays a C in the 2nd space of the staff, what fingering does he use?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. I think it's great he has caught the fire and you are encouraging and working with him early on! I've always been a believer that anything you learn early in life becomes more engrained in your brain and or muscle memory whether instrumental music, golf, skiing, etc. and thus more enjoyable later in life. I remember learning how to ski and going many times as a kid and now I can "just ski" without the negatives of overthinking it. For me, golf is the opposite. Never learned nor played until maybe 28 years old and it remains a torturous experience despite reading about technique, watching videos, etc. Just my opinion, but I would totally drop the idea of having a middle schooler (and or you) lug the school tuba back and forth. That will get old (or dented on the bus) real quick! Rather than paying to fix the wheels on the case if he seems to really be interested, which is outstanding, I'd be thinking of acquiring a tuba to keep at home. This ideally would be inexpensive, yet not so that it would hold him back in his development. TubeNet is a great source for finding such a Tuba once you have determined the make, model, and key of his school Tuba. Good on you -- this world would be a better place with more TubaMoms!
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Quote Originally Posted by tampaworth View Post
    Just my opinion, but I would totally drop the idea of having a middle schooler (and or you) lug the school tuba back and forth.
    You know, the more I think about this the more that sounds like the best plan. I was remembering back to my son's high-school days playing trombone. We bought him a good trombone, but fortunately I also had my old King trombone that he could use at home. Even with the more petite size of the trombone it was a blessing to not haul it back and forth (especially given the weight of his backpack!). And there is a sort-of fringe benefit. For various logistical reasons he might need to leave the horn at school sometimes. But if he always has one at home too, he can still practice.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Ok. I found out his tuba is a Bb tuba. It has three valves (I think that is what they are called - the little things that look like pistons that are pushed down to make the notes).
    His band teacher is going to check to see if they have any extras but he didn't think that they did; but he had to go out of town for a funeral and won't be back until tomorrow so I won't really know until then or possibly Monday. I also think I remember being told that the tuba isn't full sized, but I'd have to ask about that. I know my kiddo isn't super big/tall and he is a little short for his tuba and has to sit on a book to really sit up straight and play. But, he LOVES his tuba and playing it so far. Maybe for Christmas he can get a tuba for home if the school doesn't come through.

Wessex has a Bb tuba with 3 valves that is made to be a good fit for smaller (or younger) students:

http://www.wessex-tubas.com/junior-bb-tuba/

I've been impressed with what I have seen of the Wessex euphonium but I have not tried any of the tubas. I suspect that are good, though. It would cost you about $995. I'm doubtful you'd find a decent used horn for enough less money to make it worthwhile to buy used, but you never know. In any case, the Wessex is a reasonable option. And their wheeled case is included with the horn (not always the case when you are pricing tubas).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Wow, thanks Dave! Yes, I saw some of the cases were $5-600 alone.

You really need to know what you're doing before you plow too deeply into the used tuba market. In the $995 range you'll find a fair amount of junk, even among "good" brands... big dents, suspect valves, poor compression. If you had someone that could try a horn out for you, that would be a great way to avoid bad news in the used market. Without that, you'd be taking some chances with a pretty substantial chunk of money. I second the recommendation for a Wessex.

I didn't see the junior Wessex, but that would be a good choice. However, I play in brass band and a community band with a bunch of ebay Conns. Particularly, in the NT area there are some good techs and probably some decent ones to be found at a swap meet, garage sale, or a community center garage sale. Don't forget local pawn shops, goodwill, and estate sales too.

Here's an example, an Indian Sousaphone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	2523

$300 for the horn, no case. Spend about $100 on the valves, get a stand for it and go.

Fiberglass ones can double as a Bird Bath....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast