Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB Eb Alto (Tenor) horn

Hi Ann,

Welcome to Dave Werden's forum. All good suggestions above so I won't repeat any of it.

If you're concerned about not being able to read bass clef don't be. I only read treble clef myself. The same with the other two who are in my section (we're all trumpet refugees ). I would say about 80% of the music for baritone or euphonium is in both clefs. There are a few times that the music is only available in bass clef. Then I have to xpose it on Finale for all of us.

"Great Big Dreams For America". I've not heard this one before. It was always "Good Boys Do Fine Always".
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Hi Ann,

Welcome to Dave Werden's forum. All good suggestions above so I won't repeat any of it.

If you're concerned about not being able to read bass clef don't be. I only read treble clef myself. The same with the other two who are in my section (we're all trumpet refugees ). I would say about 80% of the music for baritone or euphonium is in both clefs. There are a few times that the music is only available in bass clef. Then I have to xpose it on Finale for all of us.

"Great Big Dreams For America". I've not heard this one before. It was always "Good Boys Do Fine Always".
    I am happy to learn that baritone/euphonium music comes in both clefs! I thought it was always in bass clef. Not that I couldn't have learned it... but I've been looking at treble clef my whole life. Thanks for your reply!

Thanks again everyone for your advice. Last month I purchased this cute little Holton A600 Eb alto horn locally for $150. It is in great shape and had been chem cleaned by the previous owner. I'm guessing it is from the '80s. I am enjoying playing - I know it's an instrument not played in many bands anymore, but for now I am playing the alto sax part in our church band. We only work on a couple of songs at a time, and they are in the range that I can play. I may eventually look into a baritone, but for now this is at least getting me back to playing a brass instrument, and it is fun to play!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014 12 13 Holton Eb Alto Horn A600 001.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	707.6 KB 
ID:	2741 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014 12 13 Holton A600 Alto Horn 006 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	569.3 KB 
ID:	2742

That IS a cute little horn! Thanks for sharing.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Ann, the baritone horn parts are usually found in treble and bass clefs. Most of the players in our bands read treble clef. I find the valves on top are easier on the hands as I have arthritis in the right hand. I would suggest that you find a horn most comfortable for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12