Thread: Adams replacement Finger Buttons?

Adams replacement Finger Buttons?

Adams Experts,

I think the time has come for me to replace the finger buttons on my Adams. The default buttons are not working well for me after 18 months of owning the horn.

What is the process to replace the buttons for people that have done it? How much did they cost, if you don't mind me asking?
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

A good place to start is to contact the dealer where you got the horn. I have no idea of cost.

I did not care for the standard "domed" caps either. I never felt completely secure with them. You can get standard mother-of-pearl caps, which are probably the safest bet. You can also get them with wooden inserts, which feel and look great! But you would want to be really sure not to get the wood wet. (Since I work for a woodworking company, I am going to research a good product to seal/protect the wood caps and suggest it to Adams.)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Any update on cost (if you don't mind my asking) and how to obtain them? I am looking for new ones, too.
    Adams E1 0.6 SS gold satin lacquer
    Wessex EP100-S Dolce euphonium
    Yamaha YBH-621 baritone
    Yamaha YSL-354V valve trombone
    Olds Recording valve trombone
    Conn 1957 valve trombone (once owned by Bob Brookmeyer)
    Willson 2975 euphonium

"Walk to the beat of your own tuba." Dove chocolate wrapper

I can't comment on cost, but have you checked with an Adams dealer? If you don't have one near you it should not matter - shipping caps would be pretty cheap.

Trent Austin Custom Brass would be one to try if you don't have a local dealer (assuming you are in the U.S.)

info@austincustombrass.com
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

5. I can tell you that they are not cheap! I got my Adams from Bridgepoint music along with the two extra sets of fingerbuttons. I really disliked the stock domed caps as well. I believe that the more standard pearl buttons are about $100 (at least from bridgepoint, if I remember my prices correctly). And the E2 valve cap set was about twice that. In my opinion it is worth it though.
    Last edited by davewerden; 09-24-2015 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Removed sentence with incorrect procurement procedure

6. Ironically, earlier this year, a couple of days before I dropped my horn (and ended up having to send it to the Adams factory for a makeover), I had contacted them about some replacement finger buttons, heavier springs, etc. Most likely I would have passed on such frills, but since I was spending considerably more on repairs and mod's, and since shipping was already covered, I went ahead and got the violet inlaid buttons. They are for a sure a frill, but they look pretty awesome and I would get them again. I also really like the heavy springs. At first they seemed too stiff, but I have gotten used to them, and they definitely speed up the valve action.
    Last edited by davewerden; 09-24-2015 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Removed sentence that may accidentally be misleading.

ADMINISTRATOR NOTE:

I removed a couple posts and edited one other. This was not due to rules infractions, but rather because they were creating some accidental misdirection. In one case there was a price mentioned that could be confusing because it was part of a unique circumstance. The other reason is that readers were being directed to the person who is responsible for the whole U.S. Adams instrument import market, but who is not really geared to be an end-customer's parts supplier. However, he would be the person to help when a horn has to be returned to the factory, such as was the case in the story from Daniel above.

The best idea, as stated above, is to contact an Adams dealer for such parts questions.

FYI, Adams is planning to include ordering information and pricing for such enticing tidbits in their next price list (by year's end, approximately), which will make the process even smoother and will enable the dealers to respond more easily.

Also please note that this advice is not exclusive to Adams. If I played a Besson/Yamaha/Willson/etc. I would still want to have a relationship with a good dealer for that brand. If there is not one locally then I'd find a dealer who is OK with working with long-distance customers (most are!). This is a valuable relationship for you, and it serves a broader purpose. The more business we give dealers, the more dealers we'll have because they will be able to stay in business!
    Last edited by davewerden; 09-25-2015 at 07:41 AM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

8. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I am going to research a good product to seal/protect the wood caps and suggest it to Adams.)
    Check out

http://www.woodrx.com

out of Fort Myers, FL. Simply outstanding for wood decks exposed to the elements!
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Yikes, after I made this post I contacted my Adams dealer who was unable to provide finger buttons (this was back in October 2014). I then contacted Adams directly who provided them to me directly but said that the dealer should have been able to get them to me and to go through them going forward. It sounds like those distribution problems have since been fixed.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by JakeGuilbo View Post
    It sounds like those distribution problems have since been fixed.
    I'm sure it's a work in progress, as it is with most international companies. When Adams formalizes their list with part numbers and pricing, that will help a great deal. And I'm sure there will be lots of other details to address along the way as the options become greater.

If you trudge through enough of the forum you will probably find threads about difficulties getting parts from several different manufacturers. For some people there was success going one route, and for others that did not work. All the well-known brands that we deal with have made efforts to make things better and more consistent as they go. (My day job is with a company that deals internationally in both directions with parts and products, and I can tell you it is not an easy thing to do!)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)