Thread: What model Besson do I have?

1. What model Besson do I have?

I bought my Besson in 1968 slightly used and almost new. I've been playing it now for about 46 years. It needs some work and I'm getting ready to take it to a professional for service. I've been searching online for parts but after all these years I don't know the model #. Here is the info I have:
    SN#:444xxx
    Bell stamped with 50 Medals of Honor, BESSON, London-Paris-New York, Made in England
    3+1 valves
    full comp sys
    European shank
    all the valves have multiple small rust spots so I was looking for new valves online but can't find any because I don't know exact model.
    Any help on model would be greatly appreciated

Model 181, New Standard.

Prolly cheaper to have the old valves rebuilt, as the cylinder wear will make new ones leaky anyway.

Oberloh in Seattle did all mine on several horns, better-n-new.

Not cheap, but a new horn is a good $4K anyway so you save $$ in the long run.

Dennis
    Last edited by highpitch; 09-26-2014 at 01:17 AM.

3. Thank you for the info Dennis. I visited Oberloh website. Looks like they are top notch. Its a shame I live on East coast of USA. Can you give me any idea on a possible cost for rebuilding valves?

Ken

4. You can contact Matt at Dillon Music. To redo the valves, the valve block needs to be removed. The block and valves would be sent to Anderson plating in Indiana to be plated and remachined. I would expect cost will be in the $1000 range
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

+1 on the dollars.

DG