Thread: SM5X mouthpiece?

SM5X mouthpiece?

I recently emailed the Denis Wick company concerning the possible availability of the Steve Mead Ultra X mouthpiece in a size 5. Today I received the following reply: "I was speaking with Steve Mead this morning and we discussed this. He thinks there may be enough demand to warrant us looking at this. So we shall start this process and hopefully have them ready in 6/8 weeks time. Regards, Brian Miller, General Manager"
    Very nice people at Denis Wick.
    Last edited by enhite; 09-18-2014 at 11:03 AM. Reason: font size problem

Thanks for sharing that. Kudos to the Wick company for listening!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Does anyone have an update on the availability of the SM5X? Thanks.

I was responsible for the original post. I haven't heard anything new, but suggest that you email the Wick company. They seem to be very responsive to emails. Perhaps the more inquiries that they get, the more likely they are to speed up availability.
    tradesales@deniswick.com

This would probably be a really great british baritone MP.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

When I look for Denis Wick stuff I always take a look at DF Music and they have a SM5X listed under Baritone, but not on the Denis Wick site.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

I received an update to the SM5X mouthpiece question from the Denis Wick company:
    "During our discussions with Steven about the X series, he said that we would limit the range to sizes 3 and 4. So there are no plans to do a size 5. Sorry. You might canvas Steven by mail. I have cc'd him into this reply. Regards, Brian Miller, General Manager, Denis Wick Products, LTD."
    I must say that I am disappointed, since I wanted the size 5 for what I hoped would be a brighter sound. Anyone know how to petition Mr. Mead?

You might want to settle for an existing mouthpiece. Sometimes there is a good design reason to limit a design feature to a certain size range.

However, I think Steve's website has contact information. Or you could put a comment on his Facebook page. Then others who have a similar opinion might support you (or not).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

9. Quote Originally Posted by enhite View Post
    I must say that I am disappointed, since I wanted the size 5 for what I hoped would be a brighter sound.
    Have you considered a Kadja? I noticed that a member here has one for sale for $100. I was playing the SM4X but switched to the Kadja and really like it. It is a little smaller in diameter (probably pretty close to a "5"), but deeper. It is very comfortable and gives a clarity (brightness?) to the sound that I really like.

Now the SM5X and also the SM5XR are available