Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Switched to Blue Juice valve oil

Yep, Blue Juice is working great! No more build up and the valves stay clean. The M5050 has vented valves and the small vent hole would get clogged up using Hetmans or Yamaha synthetic. I don't notice the odor any more either.

Dave recommended Blue Juice years ago, but I was real slow on the uptake.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Hello Everyone,

I read this thread with professional interest! You may already know this, but I didn't see it mentioned, so; the 'gunk' that is accumulating is from bacteria, its the biofilm they excrete as they buildup their environment. The fact that it appears when the synthetic valve oil is used is consistent with the tendency of synthetic fuels to contain heteroatom compounds that the bacteria use as food. The type and quantity of those 'food' compounds has been changing as fuel manufacturers explore other, and more 'green', feed stocks and new methods to produce synth fuels. Early synthetic oils were very 'petroleum' like, and did not contain the food compounds (or if they did, at much lower concentrations). This same problem has been occurring with biodiesel, big time. The 'greenest' biodiesels are also super good at feeding bacteria, and have seen tremendous fouling of fuel tanks, pipes, filters, etc. The solution is a synthetic that has been treated to convert any of the oxygen containing functional groups into simple hydrocarbons. It costs more, takes more time, but easily solves the problem, for the transportation industry and for the music industry! As for why the euphonium might see the problem where a trombone did not, the euphonium has lots of places for the bacteria to setup and hang out, not so much in a trombone (the big slide). The tubing between the valves is ideal for bacteria and a biofilm. Also, be warned that some bacteria are corrosive and can, over time, damage the horn. Proper maintenance and cleaning will prevent that.

I will have a couple of high school students in my lab this summer, and I am thinking this would be a great project for them; analyze the chemical composition of the current valve oil brands, and study their propensity to support bacterial growth. If we do this, I will reference this thread in the publication, just for fun.

Regards,

Chris
    Last edited by CEBunker; 05-07-2015 at 08:32 AM.

Chris,

That's great info! The specifics you discuss are way above my head, but it all "resonates" well. For example, it might explain why some people have the gunk-build-up problem and some don't.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Hi Chris, thanks for posting! As an organic chemist, I totally get it! However I do wonder that if you were to reduce, say hydroxyl groups to aliphatic chains.... would it still be effective as a lubricant? My guess is these synthetics were formulated the way they were to produce optimal valve action. You start messing with the chemical composition, comparable performance is not necessarily a given!

Hello Fellow Chemist (my wife now proclaims me a science nerd and a band geek),

Its not just the hydroxyl (-OH) groups, FAME (fatty acid methyl esters) are of significant concern. They are present in the biodiesel at fairly high concentration and are known to promote bug growth. Its also worth noting that the blue juice does indicate the addition of a lubricity enhancer.

Given the relatively small market that the music industry represents to the oil or synth oil manufacturers (vs. all the lubrication needs of industry), it would be my guess (its only a guess) that the oils we use are derived from cuts meant for other uses. There are companies that specialize in collecting petroleum cuts and blending them to deliver specific performance metrics. These batches are 'specialty' blends and are expensive to produce. Given that there are many brands of valve oil, I find it hard to believe that they all are investing at that level. I don't know how the valve oil machine actually functions, but since the world machine is currently producing synthetics from new sources (bio-derived), it makes sense to me that we could also see those compounds showing up in our oils.

Chris

6. New to Forum

I learned the trumpet in high school but had not played anything until about eight years ago when I started teaching myself low brass. At some point, Blue Juice was purchased and, since it smelled just like the stuff my band director sold me in the '70s, I thought it was same stuff colored blue. It appeared to work just fine in my trumpets and euphonium. The bottle is now running low.

Last week I purchased a valved 4/4 tuba in wonderful shaped and the previous owner, a former band director, warned me against Blue Juice while advising his instrument had only been oiled with Hetman's #1. He even included the oil.

An impressive YouTube entity "Low Brass U" (aka Zach Marley) was asked his opinion and he sided with my tuba's PO. I side with this thread at present.

Is there a newer thread on this topic I should read for additional insight?

Thanks,
    Tom

I'm sure there is some discussion on various threads about this, and it may be more recent. But here is my take.

Blue Juice (the brand name, not just blue-colored oil) is still a very good choice, and is my first choice if I want to use "standard" valve oil.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Juice-BJ...002FOGFI/?th=1

Hetmann is no longer being produced as far as I know. That seems odd, because it was pretty popular, but sadly it seems to be the case.

I've recently done some testing with Yamaha's Light Synthetic. It seems as fast and smooth as Hetmann oil:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYXSCP3/

I'm STILL not sure if I prefer standard or synthetic! Blue Juice might indeed keep the horn a bit more free of gunk, but some will still build up over time. I'm talking about the slime that accumulates in the bottom of the valve casing. Synthetic do seem to go longer between oilings, but I'm not 100% convinced that is a good thing. Taking out each piston every couple days, wiping it off, and applying standard oil might keep things cleaner in the long run.

Either of the oils I linked above is a respected choice from respected companies, and I personally prefer those two over many others I have tried.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

8. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    ... Hetmann is no longer being produced as far as I know. That seems odd, because it was pretty popular, but sadly it seems to be the case...
    Thanks for the response!

I had not read anything about Hetman not being made because they still have a website, and the partial bottle of oil the tuba's PO gave me is still available on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hetman-Light-.../dp/B0002E52GG

Do you think Blue Juice is functionally different than the clear oil (2nd from right in the image) I used long ago?

Thanks,
    Tom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrassOil0.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	397.9 KB 
ID:	8689

With companies being in/out of business it can be hard to tell! I've heard this from a couple of sources, but I would not bet my car that Hetmann is out of business. However, I took it seriously enough to look for an alternative synthetic.

Blue Juice has a bacteria inhibitor, which sets it apart from most other valve oils.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Tom,
    Just in case you haven't come across it yet, the thread linked below had some decent discussion of Blue Juice and other valve oils and might have some useful info for you.

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...l#.YXtcNdlOlEE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast