Thread: need advice re: MP for a 1959 Besson "recording bell" tuba

need advice re: MP for a 1959 Besson "recording bell" tuba

Hi,

Just wondering what sort of mouthpiece would be a decent "fit" with this horn. It has the Besson name, but it was manufactured in 1959 by Boosey & Hawkes. It's built like a tank, rugged like a tank, weighs about the same as a tank, and has a 24" bell

I only have 1 MP at the moment, and it properly fits the "bits" on my 1966 Holton fiberglass Sousaphone. This same MP, when used on the Besson, goes about 1/2 the length of the MP's shaft, into the Besson's receiver. (the Besson sounds pretty good, btw, I'm happy with the sound ... it really punches out those low pedal notes, and has the B&H "automatic compensation system" ... whatever the heck that is )

First question:

do you think that the "shaft size" for the Besson is likely "small European" .... or ... ?

Second question:

There is a bewildering variety of MP's to choose from on the internet, and I have NO idea where to even begin. Zero. Nada !! ... Can anyone give me a few suggestions / recommendations for this horn ?

I found some pics of a Besson front / recording bell Tuba that looks nearly identical to mine ... see link below ... thanks for your help !

Dave

http://brassandwoodwind.ca/BessonTuba_325XXX.html
    Last edited by dgmatheson; 09-10-2014 at 02:25 PM.
    Besson "bell-front" / recording bell Tuba (1959)
    Holton fiberglass Sousaphone (1966)

2. Without getting into the whole "gap" discussion, 1/2 the length of a MP shaft into the receiver is certainly enough as long as it is stable. Other opinions?
    Last edited by tampaworth; 09-10-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Thanks Bob ...

One other comment ... the REAL reason I think I need a new MP for this Besson horn ... when I used a tuner on it, playing open Bb (lower & higher) ... the readout is " A # " ... and that's with the main tuning slide pushed all the way in.

The MP I already have & use on my Holton "works OK" for the Besson ... it sounded pretty decent at last nights band rehearsal. I'm just wondering if, by choosing a new / different style MP, I might improve / upgrade the sound a bit more.

Regards,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dgmatheson View Post
    when I used a tuner on it, playing open Bb (lower & higher) ... the readout is " A # " ... and that's with the main tuning slide pushed all the way in.
    Bb and A# are the same pitch. Make sure your horn is totally warmed up and try again. If the tuning slide still has to be all the way in, you may need a mouthpiece that inserts further.

You Besson has a 3-valve compensating system. See this page:

http://www.dwerden.com/eu-articles-comp.cfm
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks Dave, good advice ... will warm it up some more before metering the tuning. Dohhhhhh .... forgot that A # = Bb