Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoration: 1975 Besson New Standard

Restoration: 1975 Besson New Standard

Back in late May I managed to find a 1975 Besson. This was the condition of the horn, at the time I purchased it off of ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-1970-0...p2047675.l2557

And after a few months it had some time in the repair shop. Here's a few pictures:

I intend to swap out the valve springs, and I was wondering what other owners are using for springs and valve oil on this model. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

2. If it's not too rude, what was the final price of all the restoration work? It looks superb now!

Dubby, it'll probably be about $600-700., when it's finally finished. I'm getting a refurbished case too. The challenge was to get the lacquer stripped, dents removed, and to have the second valve slide repaired. The bow portion and third valve slides were a bit rough. I was expecting to do a shank receiver change, but as I verified the serial number, it already had one. I haven't had a chance to weigh it, but it feels heavier than my Hirsbrunner.

I'm still using the springs that came with mine when I bought it in 1973, and Blue Juice oil. I'm also interested in suggestions for new springs.

5. The horn looks great!

I got some springs from Dawkes that I think work very well, and I also did a few other things (see my post, link below).

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...8_Q6N0x24Order Details

I am not using the "heavy" springs, so if you have strong fingers, make me an offer. Otherwise, I would recommend the "regular" ones, as below. I also use Blue Juice.

(Note: the ? means British pounds)
    BBH6571 Besson - Large Valve Felt Soft Stop Each x 8 ?3.52
    BBH6070 Besson - Medium Valve Felt Soft Stop Each x 8 ?4.00
    GBR7080 Windcraft Euphonium and Tuba Valve Spring Set 4 x 1 ?3.20
    GBR7079 Windcraft Euphonium and Tuba Valve Spring Heavy Set 4 x 1 ?3.72
    ASD001 Windcraft Spring Damper Set - Fits Besson Euphoniums Set of 8 x 1 ?8.99
    Postage Postage / Handling Fee Postage 1 ?8.00
    Order Total ?31.43
    Last edited by daniel76309; 08-16-2014 at 06:31 AM.

I played a concert in Sequim with it on Sunday. My tech put in the "heavy" springs, and I do have strong fingers. But I'm looking to swap them out. I'm also considering a synthetic valve oil, like ultra-pure. For the springs, I'm taking a hard look at using the Yamaha Teflon coated euphonium springs. I'll probably fire off an email to Dawkes and get a set of their stuff, just in case. Most definitely, those guides are going to be replaced. I've got a good synthetic set in the Hirsbrunner. That's really a no brainer. Thanks for the "to do" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Markmc611 View Post
    Most definitely, those guides are going to be replaced. I've got a good synthetic set in the Hirsbrunner. That's really a no brainer.
    Agreed!!! I keep forgetting that my baritone has metal guides. And then once or twice a year I get it out and start to play and marvel at the amount of noise it makes.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

After about another six weeks of playing this horn, I started to have some soreness in my right hand. I did put in a lighter set of springs, and I'll have some new synthetic valve guides in the next month. I mentioned the soreness to my NP, a trumpet player (), and she suggested a change in valve buttons. I have big hands. So, what are my options for bigger buttons on a 1975 New Standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Markmc611 View Post
    After about another six weeks of playing this horn, I started to have some soreness in my right hand. I did put in a lighter set of springs, and I'll have some new synthetic valve guides in the next month. I mentioned the soreness to my NP, a trumpet player (), and she suggested a change in valve buttons. I have big hands. So, what are my options for bigger buttons on a 1975 New Standard?
    I doubt buttons would help. How is your hand position? Your fingers should rest on the valve buttons with a natural arc. Hang your hand down at your side and relax. How much curse is there in your fingers? That is roughly the amount you want while playing. This means you also want the inmost knuckles to align roughly with the middle of the valve stem (so you are not "approaching" the valves from above or below).

Be wary of trying to "bull" your way through passages that you are not ready for; that results in tension and jerky movements.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks Dave, I just eyeballed the hand bar position on the Hirsbrunner and the Besson. There's a noticeable difference. Yep, basic hand placement is to blame too. Thanks for the refresher!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast