Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Placing a horn on it's bell

The other objections I would have is scratching the bell rim and the danger of tipping. But if you are talking about storing it in a hard case, no problem. That's how I store my double-bell.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

My hard case and the size and shape of my instrument locker at my university lend themselves to storing my euphonium "on its bell." I switched several months ago to storing it upright (which works only because it's in a locker with a latching door, since it now rests on a curve - the bottom bow), and I almost immediately noticed a marked improvement in my valves, which aren't wonderful to begin with.
    David Young
    Andreas Eastman EEP526S '08
    Denis Wick SM5
    Utah State University Wind Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by David Young View Post
    My hard case and the size and shape of my instrument locker at my university lend themselves to storing my euphonium "on its bell." I switched several months ago to storing it upright (which works only because it's in a locker with a latching door, since it now rests on a curve - the bottom bow), and I almost immediately noticed a marked improvement in my valves, which aren't wonderful to begin with.
    No surprise here! I wonder if you could put a safety strap across the opening of the locker??? Or maybe a piece of Velcro on the side of the bell-end of the case and its mating piece on the back of the locker. That way you would not have to catch it when you open the locker.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Adhesive hooks on back or side walls of locker and a cord or bungie from one to the other across the front of the case? Available from local hardware or home supply store. No drilling required.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    This thread has been around for a while, and I just noticed it today. Resting a euphonium on its bell, in my humble opinion, is akin to child abuse (horn abuse in this case). I am probably the most finicky person in the world about my horns. I couldn't imagine getting the tiniest scratch or something on the rim of a bell. I know it is done, and done by some of the world's finest, you see them plunk their horns down on their bell on stage at a concert. I just hate even getting fingerprints on my horn, yes I am that kind of zealot. Plus, junk seems to run out of the horn unnaturally when upside down. The K&M stands are the best, I use them religiously. I even put felt over the rubber like bumpers to keep any kind of rubber smears off. You really have to see me to believe me, I am a real basket case in protecting my horn. I do actually play it from time to time.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I never store my horns on the bell. I have been restoring old horns of late and invariably they have dents in the side tubing. I believe this is caused by being knocked over several times during their life. I think you are asking for damage if you place your horn on it's bell, even for a moment.

Since buying my Adams, I do not place it on its bell. This has resulted in a few scary moments during practice where I am trying to hold my horn in my lap with my elbows while T-rex-style move music around in my folder! I have already decided I am willing to let my music fly (embarrassing) rather than drop my horn (devistating).
    Chris Bunker
    Adams E1, Wick 4AL

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Chris - get a K&E euphonium stand. They are terrific. I put my horn in the stand in between pieces and am easily able to fetch and arrange music on the stand with the horn right on the floor in front of me. You will wonder how you got along for so long without one.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234