• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JacobBarnby
    • Dec 2012

Euphonium Financing?

Hello everyone,

My professor got me thinking today about how I'm going to get a professional model euph of my own. It may not be as essential to have an expensive instrument of your own as an undergraduate student, as you may decide to change your major and lose interest in that $7,000.00 hunk of metal. I see it as more important to have one if you're planning on attending graduate school though. I'm currently entering my senior year as a music education major at Northern Michigan University and plan to pursue my master's degree in euphonium (or low brass in general) performance. My question is if anyone knows of a place such as the Tuba Exchange that offers monthly payment options. This would be my best opportunity to get one before grad school as it doesn't seem likely that my college would allow student loans to front the cost. Thank you all in advance for your time!

Jacob Barnby
  • dsurkin
    • Feb 2014

When I bought my Steinway, the acquisition cost was $3,300 and the refurbishing cost about $9,000. I was not in a position, back then, to pay all cash. I went to my bank and talked to them about a loan--I convinced them that they should give it to me on the terms of an auto loan, with the added benefit that the piano would keep on increasing in value while a car would keep decreasing in value.

I don't know if you or a family member have an ongoing relationship with a bank (perhaps someone in the family who owns his or her own business), and I also don't know if banks today would be as flexible as they were in the 1980s. In any event, don't finance it from a credit card--the interest rate would be oppressive. Good luck with your purchase.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• Msan1313
      • May 2014

If you were interested in a Besson, WWBW offers 18 month financing on the Besson Prestige 2052. I'm not sure if it's on all Besson horns, but it says on all B&S products... I would inquire if you're interested
      Marco Santos - Marcher and Performer
      Guardians Drum & Bugle Corps 2015
      Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps 2016, 20i7, 2018

Adams E1
      Modified Schilke 52E2 by Justin Gorodetzky

Comment

• Markmc611
        • Jun 2012

You have other options than just financing, you can get a job. If you're looking at being a performance major, an audition with a national guard band should provide you with some starter money, and the AT/drill pay isn't bad. Have you looked at campus employment?

My option was to mow lawns and do minor landscaping. Pushing a lawnmower, weeding, that sort of thing.

I have two friends that work as bartenders. Of the two, one is still doing it and it paid for his horn and graduate school.

Lastly, I'd go have a talk with a real knowledgeable financial aid counselor. It would seem to me that you could use the loan money to purchase a horn.

Check this thread out on another website, http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/...9-expense.html

I realize it's old, but it could give you a starting point.

Comment

Working...
        X