Thread: Valve guides for King 2280

Valve guides for King 2280

In a pinch, a Yamaha valve guide will work on the King 2280.

We held our annual church music camp for middle school students a few weeks ago. This was our sixth year and it's grown from 22 to 114 students (I had to wear my music ear plugs a few days). A student sitting next to me had a King 2280 who kept having trouble with his 1st valve sticking. I asked him if he needed some oil. He said no, and that it was really messed up. He then proceeded to turn the valve without loosening the top valve cap (Ye gads! No wonder his tone sounded stuffy). I looked at the valve and the guide was half torn or bent so much that it was barely staying the in its groove. I didn't have a spare guide for the King, but knew I had some spare guides for my Yamaha 641. I asked a brass tech friend of mine if they might work... wondering if the index hole in the top of the valve was the same as on Yamaha valves. He said it would if I made the center hole larger for the valve stem. It took me about 20 mins with my little Swiss army pocket knife to enlarge the hole, but it worked fine. The student was very appreciative... and sounded much better.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Very neat! Both having the church program and the horn fix.