Thread: Sousa March life list

1. Sousa March life list

I've started keeping track of the Sousa marches I've played. To date, I'm 48 out of 136 (or whatever his total is).

I'm sure many have played more than I have. Anyone done the complete cycle yet?

Certainly not I, although I don't have a count to offer. However, the euphonium players in the Marine Band when Robert Hoe did the Heritage of the March series played all of them. Bob had them record all the Sousa marches. (Well, who else would one choose?!?!)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I just got the word from Glenn Call that the Marine Band recorded ALL of Sousa's works, NOT "just" the marches! What a fun and trying job that would be.

Euphoniumists for that project: Carl Slagley, Jimmy Thornton, Glenn Call, Luke Spiros, and probably Mike Ressler.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. # is now at 49. Got a copy of "The Lambs March" at last rehearsal. Let the fun continue!

David, have you ever played "Pathfinder of Panama"? We just got that one this week. I've never played it myself. In fact one tuba player in our band who was in the Navy Band says he's never played it either.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I've played The Pathfinder of Panama about 3-4 years ago in the Rollins College band. It was a pretty fun Euphonium part. Some other obscure Sousa marches I've played include On Parade, Powhatan's Daughter, Easter Monday on the White House Lawn, The Gliding Girl, and Old Ironsides.
    Al
    Valencia College 2013
    UCF (GO KNIGHTS!)
    Studying Music Education as a Major

Weapons of Brass Destruction -
    Euphonium - 1969 Besson Imperial with a Denis Wick SM3U Mouthpiece
    Tenor Trombone - 2011 Getzen Eterna with a Schilke 51 D Mouthpiece

I play in various ensembles at Rollins College, the University of Central Florida, and anywhere else that needs either a Trombone or Euphonium player in the Central Florida area.

'Had a recording of Sousa 'miscellaneous' years ago and Gliding Girl is actually a slow tango. Powhatan's Daughter is part of a short operetta dealing with Native American Tribes. Sousa composed many non-marches that are very beautiful and tuneful but difficult to unearth. When I lived in the area, the Allentown, PA band, Sousa's band for a period, played much Sousa of all genres. Good listening.

If you go to YouTube and type in 'Sousa gliding girl' ten or so results come up. One version even has a danced tango on stage with the orchestra. 'Would be interesting to hear it as a march.
    Last edited by nero; 08-23-2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by nero View Post
    'Had a recording of Sousa 'miscellaneous' years ago and Gliding Girl is actually a slow tango. Powhatan's Daughter is part of a short operetta dealing with Native American Tribes.
    Interesting. In the band I played Gliding Girl in, we did it as a march.
    Al
    Valencia College 2013
    UCF (GO KNIGHTS!)
    Studying Music Education as a Major

Weapons of Brass Destruction -
    Euphonium - 1969 Besson Imperial with a Denis Wick SM3U Mouthpiece
    Tenor Trombone - 2011 Getzen Eterna with a Schilke 51 D Mouthpiece

I play in various ensembles at Rollins College, the University of Central Florida, and anywhere else that needs either a Trombone or Euphonium player in the Central Florida area.

9. RickF ... yep, that's on my list.