Thread: American Pickers

1. American Pickers

Saw an episode (rerun) yesterday (01 August 2014) where Mike & Frank bought a pile of old instruments for about $200, including an upright baritone, a sousaphone, a tenor sax, and a trumpet. The instruments had been decorations in a restaurant.

My 1918 Hawkes & Son hung in an eatery for over 30 years, luckily all they did to it was use a wire to hold it and got white paint splashes on it.

Cleaned up and polished, it still plays.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by David Bloss View Post
    Saw an episode (rerun) yesterday (01 August 2014) where Mike & Frank bought a pile of old instruments for about $200, including an upright baritone, a sousaphone, a tenor sax, and a trumpet. The instruments had been decorations in a restaurant.
    If there was no tenor sax in the deal, I suspect the price would have been higher.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

4. Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    If there was no tenor sax in the deal, I suspect the price would have been higher.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Probably correct ... not sure who first said it but it's true for most woodwinds "An ill wind that nobody blows good".

Shall we start a series of posts based on dissing other instruments. "How do you keep two oboes in tune? Shoot one"

Quote Originally Posted by David Bloss View Post
    Probably correct ... not sure who first said it but it's true for most woodwinds "An ill wind that nobody blows good".

Shall we start a series of posts based on dissing other instruments. "How do you keep two oboes in tune? Shoot one"
    *teehee*

Back to the original subject, I'm going to have to start looking at what's on the walls of the Cracker Barrels and other similar restaurants that I visit.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

6. Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    *teehee*

Back to the original subject, I'm going to have to start looking at what's on the walls of the Cracker Barrels and other similar restaurants that I visit.
    My wife is a Cracker Barrel addict. On vacations, rule #1 is only ONE Cracker Barrel visit per day. A few years ago we took my dad to visit his brother in North Carolina. 2000 miles (round trip) on I-40. There are probably 200 CBs on that route.

I've only seen one very sad trumpet on the walls of a Cracker Barrel. I think that 90+% of their "antiques" are simply manufactured to look old. The trumpet was sad because of the screw holding it to the wall.

There is a trumpet screwed (literally) to the wall as well at the CB in the I-10 @ Chandler Blvd. Ahwatukee (Phoenix).

I don't think it plays......LOL

DDG