Thread: FS: Besson Class A - 4-Valve Compensating Euphonium, Silver

FS: Besson Class A - 4-Valve Compensating Euphonium, Silver

I don't know much about this model, but it sure looks interesting. Tubing is slightly different from what we are used to, but pretty close. Nice engraving on the bell. Case looks to be good. It's sold from the UK; current price is a little under $1,000. Check it out (if for no other reason than its educational value)!

SOLD NOW

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Besson-Class...item1e8f3fb7cf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	379.6 KB 
ID:	2292 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	11 
Size:	393.0 KB 
ID:	2293 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	8 
Size:	389.9 KB 
ID:	2294
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

The ebay listing contains the following verbiage in the description: "The instrument is free blowing and has a reasonable tone ( but i'm not a good player and a better player may get more from it)". Would the "reasonable tone" part be a negative inference? I know the guy's English and we yanks might say it differently, but it seems like a strange thing to say.

I'm interested in this instrument, but not if I'm going to be disappointed in the sound. Any thoughts?

I've reached out to Charlie Brighton to see if he can help give perspective. If anyone on Earth has the inside scoop, it will be Charlie!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Hi,

Unfortunately that can mean a whole host of things. The guy is being honest in that he can produce a sound on it, but I've had these before where they are quite leaky, mostly due to the plating on the valves. Unless he can get a more reasonable player to play-test it for you, you won't know until it arrives I'm afraid. Bodily and plating-wise it does look nice for its age.
    The tubing varies slightly to the Boosey comp system as they were very separate companies in those days and the Boosey patent was well enforced.
    CB

Thanks, Charlie!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Thank you Dave and Charlie.

I'll pass on this one. The prospect of waiting almost a month to receive it, play it for a week or so, then potentially have to ship it back to the UK is less than appealing. I'm sure something appropriate will come along soon!

Steve Petrangelo

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    Thank you Dave and Charlie.

I'll pass on this one. The prospect of waiting almost a month to receive it, play it for a week or so, then potentially have to ship it back to the UK is less than appealing. I'm sure something appropriate will come along soon!

Steve Petrangelo
    Take a serious look at this one, Steve. http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...m#.U9g4KVZIiOI

This horn needs a good home to go to...