Thread: David Childs.....OMG!

1. David Childs.....OMG!

I am a trombone player who worships Dave Steinmeyer and Bill Watrous, but , wow....Childs is also the real deal...CHOPS and TECHNIQUE!

I would be curious what Dave has to say about Childs and if HE has ....every performed HOT CANARY!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt7SqmtkrVM

David Childs is one of my very favorite euphonium players for sure. He obviously has tons of technique, including range, and a nice sound. What really pins him among the top players on my list is his respect for the music. He seems able to avoid the temptation to "show off" beyond the intent of the music. He plays with great musicality that is appropriate to the piece. In the case of Hot Canary he has fun with it, which IS the appropriate approach to the piece.

I've never performed Hot Canary, although I would not rule it out for my future. Ever since I was in my teens I have enjoyed "special effects" skills and practiced them. This piece uses that type of technique, so I think I could do it. Possibly in the future...

These days I'm trying to focus more on accessible music and the interpretation and style that one needs to develop. A lot of the YouTube videos I've done lately have been with pieces that are playable by a high school student, but have room for a lot of musical development. I'm highly aware that a lot of young players are developing impressive technique, but the majority of them do not have nearly the same level of musical interpretation. At some point when I have enough of the these videos collected I'll do a blog post or an article about developing musical skills among younger players.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I'm really glad you're emphasizing the pop and jazz styles, Dave. It's an area that too few euph players explore. I love it and so do audiences!

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    I'm really glad you're emphasizing the pop and jazz styles, Dave. It's an area that too few euph players explore. I love it and so do audiences!
    I agree, and I would add my appreciation of the gospel style that you've shown in some of the videos that you've posted. I do quite a bit of gospel, but some of mine gets a little more rowdy
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Thanks! I think in the USA we underplay that type of music, perhaps thinking it's not sophisticated for such fine artistes as we. I wonder if the famous Childs Brothers arrangement of "Softly As I Leave You" would ever have been written on this side of the ocean... but look how successful and long-lived that chart has been!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Thanks! I think in the USA we underplay that type of music, perhaps thinking it's not sophisticated for such fine artistes as we. I wonder if the famous Childs Brothers arrangement of "Softly As I Leave You" would ever have been written on this side of the ocean... but look how successful and long-lived that chart has been!
    Maybe there's hope yet for my arrangements of "As Long As He Needs Me" and "Oom Pa Pa" from Oliver
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)