Thread: FS: Conn Constellation 4-Valve Euphonium, Bell Front

FS: Conn Constellation 4-Valve Euphonium, Bell Front

This Constellation is not a restored horn, so the starting bid is $399. Certainly it will go higher, but the ending price may be friendlier than the Conns that have been restored. I don't see all the trigger pieces, but it's hard to tell. Seller has 100% positive rating. He says it is from about 1960. He also says it is fitted with a large receiver, but I question that. In fact I would suggest asking about that. They came originally with a medium shank and it was not uncommon to find one retro-fitted with a small shank receiver. The deal includes what I think is the original case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-Connste...item1c426314d1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	272.2 KB 
ID:	2264
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I enlarged one of the pictures, and it does look like it has been retrofitted with a large-shank receiver.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Thanks, David. I guess I should have trusted the seller on this one. That should make choosing a mp easier
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

4. I saw this Conn Connstellation on eBay a couple of days ago and at first I was very interested. I thought if I could get it inexpensively, then I could re-finish the the brass. So I went to Dillon Music to get an idea of their repair costs: Brass Overhaul $1800 for a baritone/euphonium 4 valve; Plating $450 for 4 valve baritone. I meant to call them today to explain in more detail what each entailed, but I got busy. In any case, I was surprised at the costs. Moreover the trigger doesn't appear correct and that might be difficult to find missing parts. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this matter.

I don't know a lot about it, but I have thought about getting one of these at various times, and each one I was thinking about did not have a complete trigger. My theory was that if the plunger mechanism was all there, it would be relatively simple for a repair tech who knew the design of the horn (or could work off of good photos from somewhere) could fashion the missing piece(s).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

6. I had some time today so I called Dillon Music and talked with Josh in the repair department. I found out that the Overhaul for $1800 was a complete disassemble of the horn, fix all dents, re-assemble and send out to have the horn re-lacquered. I also found out that if I wanted to have just a re-lacquer it is $450. I was able to send him the photos from the eBay auction on this horn and he agreed with me that the horn is in pretty good shape. He mentioned the dent you can see on the back side and indicated if I wanted to have that fixed he would has to disassemble that part of the horn and while it was apart he would fix a couple of other things that he saw for an additional $200, $650 to fix dents and re-lacquer. Josh indicated that Dillon Music does not have the missing parts to fix the trigger, but I think he said they might be able to fabricate something out other parts. Having said that, I eBay emailed the seller a few days ago to get pictures of the valves and better pictures of the trigger. The seller has not sent additional photos. So I thought I would pass this information on. Please beware that Josh at Dillon Music was nice enough to look at the eBay pictures, but the price may vary when he actually gets the horn. I have decided to let the horn pass. Hope that helps someone interested in this horn. Have a good day. Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by hntjr View Post
    I eBay emailed the seller a few days ago to get pictures of the valves and better pictures of the trigger. The seller has not sent additional photos.
    I have a sliding scale I use for things like this. If I don't care all that much about getting the product, then a seller not following up would usually end it for me. If I really want the product, I'm more willing to bug the seller a bit to get what I asked for. In the latter case I would also increase the level of caution with the entire transaction. This is all just natural instinct, and I'm not suggesting it is a never-fail way of assessing sellers. In ALL matters of internet sales from 3rd parties you should exercise caution. But some of the eBay sellers I've corresponded with gave me a great sense of confidence by how quickly/well they responded.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

I'm not in a position to be a horn collector, but I wouldn't mind having a nice Connstellation
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

9. As an eBay seller I always respond promptly when I see an inquiry. I also send an email upon sending the item with the tracking number and I follow-up with an email when I see delivery to make sure all is well. All these things inspire confidence to the buyer, who really doesn't know you. It's called customer service and it is very lacking in our life these days.

10. Final bid $860, higher than I would have thought.