Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trombone Doubling

Barry, those mouthpieces (5gs, 6 61/2 al, and the 51D) are euphonium mp's, with the 60 for the yamaha. As a starting player, or addition to a jazz band, a .500 is fine for 3rd. I stated that he (in my opinion) should switch to a .500 horn. I also qualified my remarks as "I used". When I was his age, I was well over 6' tall and I had the time to practice. As for buying a larger horn, get a summer job.

I was in a similar situation to you, picked up trombone the first time in my life freshman year. But, I turned around my sophomore year and placed the coveted position of lead bone in our second jazz band (we have 3 competitive jazz bands, two of which went to states this year). I was playing on a bach model 42 close wrap, old as hell (my uncle's), and let me tell you I have no issue popping up to those double high Eb's and F's that seem to be all that a lead trombone must play lol. I have recently auditioned for jazz band next season and am now sitting lead trombone of our top band, which seems to be proof that Euph/bone doublers are just better than trombone originals My point is I have had consistent success through my studies of trombone and euphonium in Highschool (On euphonium I was second in the state honor band wind ensemble, which in NJ and as a sophomore was pretty exciting). I play on a gold bach large shank 6.5al, and never thought twice. On BOTH my instruments (My euphonium is a besson prestige 2051). I've recently cut the shank of my bach 6.5al because news to me, there was not enough of a gap between the end of the shank and the leadpipe (according to Alan Baer, in a master class I performed in). My lesson teacher is very strict about keeping us on bach 6.5al, maybe 5g when we can handle it, so when mr. baer offered the idea I get a denis wick, which would better fit, my teacher was not having it, so he compromised and we had my 6.5al cut to the approx. shank length of the dw. They are not mirrored lengths, more the depth that they go into my horn is the same. But I digress. I guess what I am saying, is jazz trombone 6.5al is no issue if that is what you play on, but it is very difficult to change size between the two drastically, for a long time. Growing with the same mp and not switching around helps you focus your individual sound as a player and in hs that is all you can ask for. I don't think you would like to go back to a 6.5al but I would say it wouldn't be a bad thing (except that you have grown with a much larger one and going back might cause issues). So I guess those are my two cents, hope someone finds it helpful, if not, interesting XD

3. Quote Originally Posted by Msan1313 View Post
    I play on a Curry 3D for euph, and she is a giant (about 1in deep). I am really worried that if I start playing on the trombone with a 6 1/2AL, that would affect my Euph sound because of the mouthpiece size difference. I need something with a deep cup to match the 3D
    Trying to match cup size does not make sense to me. Why not just select a MP appropriate to each application? I would doubt that most doublers try to match cup size to avoid throwing things out of whack on one or the other or am I missing something here.....
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Quote Originally Posted by tampaworth View Post
    I would doubt that most doublers try to match cup size to avoid throwing things out of whack on one or the other or am I missing something here.....
    I suspect both theories are popular, and probably a few other hybrid theories as well.

For me, I do not like making small changes to the rim diameter. I can double to a tuba mouthpiece with no particular problems, but moving from a Wick 4 to a Wick 5 or Bach 5 would be much harder for me. So, in my case, when I need to play a smaller horn like my baritone I use a Wick 4 with a more shallow cup: the 4BL. My norm is the 4AL, which is deeper. But my doubling is usually fairly constrained. If I were going to try some Urbie Green high notes or Frank Rosolino high notes or Dave Steinmeyer high-range solos, a 4BL would not be sufficiently small for me to make the range work. Then I would be forced to go much smaller.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12