Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another Adams thread

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good mouthpiece to try with my Adams euph. I've been using a Mead Ultra 4. I got a recommendation to day to try something else that might work better. Unfortunately it did not include what. So what are you using? I know I had to adjust the receiver gap a lot to use the Mead at all.

Why do you want to switch? I keep trying to like the ultra, but always end up back with the standard 4AL because it sounds more open and singing. However, if that is not what you seek by a mp switch, then it would be a different recommendation for you. So what do you hope to accomplish? Different sound? Better articulations? More endurance? Etc.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

They thought the Ultra wasn't getting the most out of the horn that maybe another mp could. On the other hand it could be a receiver gap issue as well. We noted how different various mps sounded, but we were not adjusting the receiver gap. We were trying them in my Sterling, the Adams, and a Willson that a friend brought. Of course the Adams was the favorite horn. The comment was that it could be really fantastic if we found the right mp and receiver gap combo. Obviously I had not yet found it with the Ultra. The sound is OK, but I suspect not as spectacular as it could be. That was the consensus. The overall consensus was the Ultra was better than the Ultra X. But we were wondering if a non-Mead mp might work better in the Adams. I forget which one originally came with it now.

Then I'd suggest testing a standard 4AL. It does seem to open up better than the Ultra, so maybe that will do the trick. I feel like it helps me get more out of the Adams (and other horns I've played), but those words could mean different things to you than they do to me.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

I do have one of those, so I'll try that. Thanks.

6. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Give this one a try and let me/us know if it works:

info@adams.nl

You might want to hold off, though. They are going to send me a new style spring for testing in late Aug/Sept.
    I was wondering if you have heard from the Adams folks on this, i.e. any progress on the heavier springs and/or softter felts?

Not yet. I'll have to remind them at some point, just in case it fell through the cracks. But it could just be taking longer than expected. Sometimes the littlest things can take a surprising amount of work!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

8. Okay, thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123