Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Adams thread

If you are interested in some tighter springs, contact Miel Adams, they offer 4 different sets of springs for the Adams Euphoniums:
    1) Standard Springs that came with your horn
    2)Standard Springs with a plastic coating
    3) Tapered Springs, they kinda look like half of a mead spring
    4) ADAMS Springs, this is the ADAMS version of mead springs but has no plastic coating, although they have color coated the springs so you can't mix them up.

I am personally using the tapered springs as they are slightly stiffer than the Standard springs and also offer less buzzing since the coils are farther apart, the fourth valve seems slow when held completely vertical, but when in playing position the action is nice and smooth.
    ADAMS Springs remove any bounce whatsoever as they are stiff springs, too stiff if you are sustaining for a long time or moving between different fingerings rather quickly. The plastic coated springs do reduce the buzz of the spring to a minimum and to me felt just barely softer than the Standard springs but I did not spend much time with them since I wanted something stiffer.

Hope this helps!
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

2. Quote Originally Posted by Jrpetty24 View Post
    If you are interested in some tighter springs, contact Miel Adams, they offer 4 different sets of springs for the Adams Euphoniums:
    1) Standard Springs that came with your horn
    2)Standard Springs with a plastic coating
    3) Tapered Springs, they kinda look like half of a mead spring
    4) ADAMS Springs, this is the ADAMS version of mead springs but has no plastic coating, although they have color coated the springs so you can't mix them up.
    I did not know this! I'm definitely going to try and get my hands on some stiffer springs. I actually love the lightness of the standard valve caps that Adams makes, but the valves are a bit on the bouncy side.
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

It's probably worth the time to get the heavier ones, but I think it's a work in progress. I have the same sets mentioned above for testing and I'm not totally sold on any of them. I have a special set in my horn that are tapered, a little heavier, and plastic coated. Several people at ITEC tried my horn just to test the E1 model against the E2 that was on display, and most of them commented on how much they liked the valves (and Miel was taking notes!). So I think Miel is still working on getting a little closer to what I'm using. However, he is also concerned that some players may find them too heavy, so he is considering including two sets with each horn (one of the current weight and one heavier). I'm going to encourage that solution once he finds a set of heavier springs that are closer to mine. Just FYI, mine are not tough-guy springs; they are just heavier that the standard ones.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Dave I would agree it is a work in progress as Mr. Claessen told me the springs I mentioned above are the same as what the previous company used, can't remember the name off the top of my head.

That sounds great! I hope he gets those out and on the market, I would love to try them if I ever get a chance.

Dave you may be aware of this as well, but I know they are also working on some felts that are quieter than what they currently use. Mr. Claessen said he will send them my way when they get closer to what they want as their final product.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

Quote Originally Posted by Jrpetty24 View Post
    ...I know they are also working on some felts that are quieter than what they currently use. Mr. Claessen said he will send them my way when they get closer to what they want as their final product.
    Yup, I've been testing those as well. There are absolutely on the right track - the new ones are quieter. I have given them some feedback about them. There are a couple things I'm hoping they can address fairly quickly and then they will be ready, IMHO.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

6. I haven't fully tested this yet, but I had added "Sovereign" spring dampers to my Besson. I switched them to the Adams on one valve and it did seem to stiffen it just a bit, as would be expected since the thickness of the dampers would result in it compressing the spring a mm or two. I don't know if this is going to be enough to make it worth doing, or if there is a benefit (or down-side) to using the dampers in general. (I am not really sure what they are supposed to do.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jrpetty24 View Post
    ..Mr. Claessen said he will send them my way when they get closer to what they want as their final product.
    For those who like to put a face to a name, this is Thijs Claessen mentioned above. A genuine nice guy! We are working on getting the leadpipe angle right for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ThijsAndDave1.jpg   ThijsAdjustingLeadpipe.jpg   ThijsAndDave3.jpg   ThijsAndDave2.jpg  
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

8. I was going to contact Adams regarding valve springs and tried to do so via the Adams website. It asked for my location and I can choose among Netherlands, Belgium, and Anders. It would seem that if I am anywhere else (such as the US) I am not allowed to ask questions.

Does someone have a contact link or email address for the Adams people, or alternatively, know of a source for the above mentioned Adams springs?

Give this one a try and let me/us know if it works:

info@adams.nl

You might want to hold off, though. They are going to send me a new style spring for testing in late Aug/Sept.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

10. I guess I will wait then. I haven't had any valves sticking or anything--I just think that I might prefer a little heavier spring and resultant quicker action. And...I want to tinker with it because that is what I do. Looking forward to any info on the new springs. Thank you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast