Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traveling with Marcus Bonna Hard Case

1. This is not even my horn and ****es me off I'm sorry to hear of your experience just because some **** head handling the baggage didn't care. Here's wishing a speedy recovery for your horn.
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

bummer so sorry your euphonium got damaged.

Lee Stofer repaired as much as he could at ITEC, and I will have my local repair technician finish the job and hope I can get some compensation from the airline.
    Bell Before Lee Stofer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-19 10.15.10.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	2203
    Bell After Lee Stofer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-23 09.51.36.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	2204

My horn will get here via FedEx tomorrow since I didn't press my luck with the airline again. Hopefully all goes smoothly. Fingers Crossed.
    I'll let everyone know what happens with my claim, but it might be a while since they have up to 30 days to respond to the claim appeal.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

Quote Originally Posted by Jrpetty24 View Post
    Had I known it wouldn't fit in advance, as I told the flight attendants on both flights, I would have left my horn at home rather than checking it. Also, once you are on the plane they won't allow you do a valet check/gate check even though the people right behind just did.
    That's important information! I always assumed I'd have the option to gate check if a horn was refused in the cabin - it only makes sense. Forewarned is forearmed, I guess.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

The one thing I've noticed with airlines in general is there is a serious lack of information that allows you to make critical decisions to protect your luggage in this case a instrument.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

6. I know this thread is old but I wanted to share in case anyone is searching for this info in the future. My son and I took a quick trip to NYC this weekend to give him a chance to check out the Adams horns at J Landress Brass. He fell in love with the E1 with a sterling bell so it is flying home with us today. I was little concerned that t wouldn't fit and we would be forced to check it and risk damage before he even got a chance to really use it. We are on American Airlines on an Airbus 321 (seat guru.com can tell you what type of aircraft your flight will be using). It fit perfectly in the overhead bin. Just barely....but it fit!

Finally, a happy ending!

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Well, I may be the bearer of bad news, but I am a very senior citizen, and over the years I have heard countless stories of how horns have been damaged and ruined while being transported on an aircraft, many from my friends and colleagues. If I had to travel by air regularly with my horn, I ABSOLUTELY would buy a rock solid travel case (immensely strong and supremely padded on the inside) and check it with baggage. Steel or some reinforced metal comes to mind. Industrial strength. You just CANNOT be sure every time that things will go well with the airlines, too many variables, unforeseen circumstances, in spite of the FAA rules regarding travel with instruments. The only certainty is to have a military, incredible hulk grade case to carry the horn in, period. Unless you like dented bells and the like, which I don't.

In today's world, with terrorism, pain-in-the-butt security (but necessary), etc., my wife and I have decided to never fly again. We drive to wherever we are going in the US, and will take a boat if we decide to travel overseas. I just will not subject myself to the roaring pain that flying is nowadays. Much nicer to drive 3 days, stop along the way to sightsee, smell the roses, and arrive whenever we feel like it. Of course, it helps to be retired and have the time needed to drive, rather than fly. My horn(s) thank me for my decision.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12