Thread: YEP 321s questions. (Junior member)

YEP 321s questions. (Junior member)

Hi I am 15 and I am almost certain I will be going to university to take a performance degree in music. I currently play a Yamaha YEP-321S (my schools horn) with a Vincent Bach 6 1/2 AL mouthpiece which I will probably be changing to Denis Wick SM6 ultra or the SM5 ultra. But back to the euphonium, I won't be purchasing my own horn till the end of grade 12. The YEP-321s is an amazing amateur horn and I love it. It's 10 years old and there are quite a few dents along some of the slides and one on the lead-pipe. The horn hasn't been professionally cleaned since it was purchased, I've cleaned it a few times. I talked to my teacher and he said the school would pay for all of the repairs and anything else that I would like done on it. So what I would like to know is:

1. What kind of repairs should I have done on it?

2. Should I have it professionally cleaned?

3. Can I polish the YEP- 321s with silver polish? If so, which products? If not, what can I use on it?

4. Is my mouthpiece selection good? Should I go bigger?

5. And is there any advice on how to make this 10 year old amateur euphonium the best it can be, until I purchase my own horn?

I can upload a picture of the euphonium so you get a better idea on the denting and looks of the horn. Just ask if you want me to.
    Last edited by Carter Friesen; 05-11-2014 at 12:31 AM.

2. Note: This post was moved by the Moderator from Euph Music to Maintenance to more accurately reflect its content.

Carter, indeed, the Yamaha 321S is an excellent horn. In answer to your questions:

1. What kind of repairs should I have done on it?

A: Definitely have the dents in the leadpipe and any of the tubing in the valve section repaired. Also, have dents in the bell and throat of the bell repaired. Dents in the outer branch and bottom bow may be harder to repair. Get any fixed that can be fixed without having to take the horn apart. Make sure felts and guides are replaced with new Yamaha parts. Unless you can feel a definite problem, I'd leave the springs alone. Have the spit valve corks replaced.

2. Should I have it professionally cleaned?

A: Yes, but get this done after the dent work is done.

3. Can I polish the YEP- 321s with silver polish? If so which products? If not, what can I use on it?

A: Yes you can polish it. After it has been cleaned and returned to you, you can use silver polish on the horn., I prefer either Wrights Silver Cream (easy to find) or better yet, Haggerty's Silversmiths spray polish. Be sure to re lubricate your slides after polishing the horn.

4. Is my mouthpiece selection good? Should I go bigger?

A: The Bach 6 1/2AL is a great mouthpiece. The Wick SM6B Ultra or SM5B Ultra are good choices. Both are larger than the Bach. The largest you can go with the Yamaha 321 without changing receivers is a Wick 4AY or SM4B. I do NOT recommend a wholesale change to a larger mouthpiece at your age. Work with your teacher and learn to use your air effectively, develop your embouchure, fill up the horn, getting a good sound and play in good tune as you increase size.

5. And is there any advice on how to make this 10 year old amateur euphonium the best it can be, until I purchase my own horn?

A: If you follow the steps above and maintain the horn in good shape, it should play just as well as a brand new Yamaha 321S. The only caveat is if the horn has been so badly abused that braces are broken and severe dents cannot readily be repaired. If this is the case, cost effective repairs may be only able to do so much...
    Last edited by daruby; 05-11-2014 at 10:32 AM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Thank you very Very much! This is exactly the information I was looking for, it's greatly appreciated
    Yamaha YEP-321s euphonium
    Boosey and Hawkes Imperial compensating euphonium
    Vincent Bach 6 1/2 AL mouthpiece