Thread: Anthony Caillet

Anthony Caillet

I have been enjoying videos by this performer. It's always instructive to hear a conception of euphonium sound & performance which is not tied in one way or another to the brass band or the DC service band sound.

He's also playing a Yamaha Custom 842, which has been quite customized in the finish and by what seems to be a trigger.

john

http://www.dwerden.com/music-videos/...s.cfm?vid=2362

Very tasteful and delicate fast playing in this one:

http://www.dwerden.com/music-videos/...hony%20Caillet

I like this guy's playing A LOT. He plays a lot of pop stuff as well.
    Some of the stuff he does is not my cup of tea, but he does it with excellence.
    There's one of him multi-tracked playing trumpet, valve trombone, & euph
    on one of the themes from the Mario Bros. game. I really enjoy that one!

JTJ, you have hit on something interesting--a new generation of players outside
    the two traditional breeding grounds...a lot of them seem to be French, but there
    could be others.

Can't wait to retire so I can really get back to practicing!! There's so much just
    amazing playing out there to aspire to!!

Jim

I agree, Jim, there is a lot of good, interesting music on his web site, and he seems to be working largely within the French cultural milieu. Very nice.

john

This is an old old thread, but I have been listening to a lot of Anthony Caillet today as I work from home. I completely agree with JTJ and Snorlax. It is really cool to hear euphonium that is both out of the "normal" euphonium world and extremely fun to listen to (others may disagree, or course). For anyone who feels like spending some time on YouTube today, I recommend any of his "Live Session @ Casa Mia" videos and his unaccompanied arrangement of a song called "fleur". Happy watching, stay healthy!