Thread: Euphonium sighted in Caberet

Euphonium sighted in Caberet

My wife and I saw Caberet last night (Studio 54 theater, revival by the Roundabout Theater Company). The show's band appears on-stage, in costume. Just before the start of the second act, I saw one of the trumpet players pick up what appeared to be a euphonium. Knowing that I have euphoniums on my mind lately (with an order pending from Mack Brass), I said to myself, it couldn't be a euphonium in a Broadway pit band--it must be an Eb compensating tuba, and I said to my wife "look at the tuba up there." Then she (yes, the pit band has a high proportion of women) started warming up, and it was no tuba. I checked the program, and one of the trumpet players was doubling euphonium.

This is the first time I have ever seen a euphonium in a Broadway production (and I've been seeing Broadway musicals for over 50 years). I'm curious if any one has ever seen another Broadway production calling for a euphonium in the pit band.

--Dean L. Surkin

The book in Urinetown calls for doubling on trombone, bass trombone, and euphonium. It's got some really nice euphonium lines and some KILLER difficult dixieland trombone stuff.

Yes, I head one in 1996 when we saw "Big River" on Broadway. The score was written by Roger Miller and the story is based on Huckleberry Finn. It is present on the soundtrack recording.

Big River, by Roger Miller

Very fun music throughout the show!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks, bbocaner and Dave. Those are two shows I missed.

With the trend on Broadway to have the pit band located out of sight of the stage (even in a different building!) and the conductor communicating with the actors via video hookup, there are possibly many more that I haven't seen. And when the pit band is piped in over the PA system, I doubt I could pick out a euphonium from the brass section unless it was playing a solo.