Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new euphonium!

My new euphonium!

I started playing the baritone horn when I was 7, and moved up to a Yamaha 321 when I was 12. I upgraded to the Willson 2900 when I turned 15, and unfortunately had to end my career due to an arm injury while I was studying music performance at Ithaca College. I hadn't played a euphonium since 1999, and missed it every day.

Last month, I spent a few hours at Dillon Music and ended up purchasing a John Packer 274S. It literally brought tears to my eyes to play again, and this is such a beautiful horn! The intonation is terrific, the tone is dark and rich, the fit and finish is flawless.

I've had the horn for a month now, and joined a local community band. It's such a great feeling to be playing again and to be reunited with this instrument that I love so much.
    Erich Beyrent - Sandown, NH USA
    Euphonium - John Packer 274S

2. Congratulations on your new horn! It's great to hear positive reports on the JP 274S and glad you are enjoying your return to making and performing music.
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Congratulations on the new horn and to be back in an ensemble playing again. Enjoy!

4. Eric--I wrote you after reading your post but haven't heard from you. I also bought a JP274, which I also love, but am still trying to figure out the best way to lift the horn about 2 inches. It's too heavy to hold high enough without help.
    What are you doing to lift yours? Thanks. Little Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJimmy View Post
    Eric--I wrote you after reading your post but haven't heard from you. I also bought a JP274, which I also love, but am still trying to figure out the best way to lift the horn about 2 inches. It's too heavy to hold high enough without help.
    What are you doing to lift yours? Thanks. Little Jimmy
    I need to lift my Jinbao about an inch to keep from hunching over. I use a fleece water bottle cover stuffed with old t-shirts. I would suggest you experiment with padding between the bottom bow and your leg.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

There was a pretty lengthy discussion on 'raising your horn' off your lap with some good suggestions... some with pictures. I still use the bag stuffed with polyester pillow filling - but now less filling than I did when I played the Yamaha 641. The 5050's leadpipe is higher so I don't need much lifting. I store the pillow or stuffed bag in my horn when I'm done. I find it works pretty well and NOT fall off my lap if I lay my horn down facing to the left and on top of the pillow. As I lay the horn down with my right hand, I slide the pillow up with my left hand so it's under the bell.

Here's the link:
    The Euphonium Slouch

Last edited by RickF; 05-10-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

A buddy of mine uses a paperback book as a euph "pillow". It seems to work for him just fine.

My apologies - I have been out of town until recently. I have always used a rolled-up towel, either a hand towel or a bath towel depending on how high I need the horn raised. Some people use a Stewart stand; I never liked to have one more thing to carry. A towel fits nicely in the case without a problem. Plus, it's nice to have something to wipe your hands or lips on (or forehead for those outdoor concerts where it's 90 degrees!).
    Erich Beyrent - Sandown, NH USA
    Euphonium - John Packer 274S

I also use a rolled-up towel most times these days. But it is white and looks too casual (well, messy, really) for concerts. So I bought some of these bags and use one over the towel. It looks great, sticks nicely to my trousers, and comes up in 2 seconds if I wish:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y92PS4/

And I got 5 for a little more than $10, so I have some left over for other stuff (accessory bags, etc.)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

10. Here's another thought...

I bought a black towel specifically for supporting my horn. I call it my "gig towel". I use whatever color towel for practicing, and use the gig towel for church.

The nice thing about a towel is that you can empty your water key into the towel instead of onto the floor (which I have always thought is kind of disgusting).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast