Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonathantuba
    • Apr 2013

Thanks for the comments. The prototype ophicleide is pitched A=440, but we are making provisions in the production instruments to adjust the tuning a lot both ways to be able to play in any group. We will see if marketing an ophicleide was a sound investment, but the interest expressed since it went on-line has been tremendous, so the signs are promising. We modelled on the instrument we did, because it is a particularly good one. Intonation, for an ophicleide is exceptional. Tony George is to do demonstration recording next month, so you should be able to hear for yourself.

Since starting this project, I have come to love the sound of the ophicleide and hope making the new Wessex version available, might mean it makes a come back into more mainstream use.

For 5-valve front action Eb tuba - we have not forgotten, that is on Wessex development list, but as a completely new model and not a clone. I do not believe in copying currently available instruments
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• ghmerrill
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Jonathantuba View Post
      I do not believe in copying currently available instruments
      Except as a marketing statement (and a kind of defense against the frequent criticism of Chinese "copying"), I have to say that as a practical matter this sounds nutty to me. Why NOT copy (or better, "copy and improve") an existing instrument that has stood the test of time? Why, instead, go through the complex and troublesome process of developing a new product from scratch and trying to compete against those highly successful existing ones? Certainly the Germans and Czechs have not been especially bashful about copying models from others. Nor in the past have Americans (compare Buescher to Conn). It's difficult to believe that one could go far wrong by copying the Norwegian Star or Starlight and offering a serviceable copy for a fraction of the cost. From an engineering and practical standpoint, most of this stuff you see about "innovation" is crap. Copying for the sake of proven design and quality is no vice. Innovation for the sake of innovation is no virtue.

Also, as it stands, the statement appears to be inconsistent with about 90% of the current Wessex product line.
      Gary Merrill
      Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
      Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
      Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
      1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
      Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
      1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• tampaworth
        • Nov 2010

Since there are p-bones and ABS saxophones -- and with the ophicleide valves are out of the picture -- maybe next we'll see a Plasticleide or heaven forbid, maybe a Plerpent LOL

Afterthought -- actually a Plerpent would be way easy to manufacture!
        Last edited by tampaworth; 04-22-2014, 11:18 AM. Reason: afterthought
        Bob Tampa FL USA
        Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
        Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

• tampaworth
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by tampaworth View Post
          maybe next we'll see a ..... Plerpent LOL
          From contrabass.com Serpents are traditionally carved from wood in two halves, which are then glued together and wrapped tightly in leather. Modern reproductions are also available made from resin (aka plastic).

Seems I'm a bit late to capitalize on this idea but the word Plerpent sure sounds cool
          Bob Tampa FL USA
          Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
          Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

• bbocaner
            • May 2009

I have a plastic serpent made by David Harding. There is also another newer plastic one made by an outfit branding them "Kaiser". Mine plays pretty well, but the big disadvantage is that it's really heavy and can be very uncomfortable to play for a long period of time. You kind of have to contort your hands in a weird way to hold them at all, and if it's really heavy it just makes it harder to do. The wooden ones are MUCH lighter. A wood one from Wetterberger in switzerland or Ribo in Belgium is on my shopping list, at which time I'll probably offer my Harding for sale on here.
            --
            Barry

Comment

• ghmerrill
              • Dec 2011

Plastic technology for bassoons has improved dramatically over the past 20 years or so. It is now a realistic choice for an advanced amateur or professional -- and offers come definite advantages.
              Gary Merrill
              Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
              Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
              Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
              1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
              Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
              1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• Paul Schmidt
                • Jan 2014

Hello fellow low pitched conical fellows

Jonathan and Andy at Wessex deliver...last week I took possession of what I believe to be one of the first batch of production Wessex Bb ophicleides. I already have a couple other ophis that I have played for decades, but I was quite interested to see what a new reproduction ophi would be like. I discount those of Robb Stewart and Manchester Brassworks, since neither of them are making ophis any longer. I am just beginning to get some familiarity with the new instrument, since as with most ophis, they are somewhat nonstandard in terms of fingerings and lever positions. But I am pleased with the workmanship and the horn has a nice sound. I could quibble about weight (it is a copy of a Gautrot and those were not the lightest weight horns) and stiffness of a few key springs, but this is minor and at least partially correctable.

Based on what I see so far, I would not hesitate to say that if readers of this forum were to buy a Wessex Bb ophi, they would have a good, solid, good playing ophi, and for a good price that includes a nice hard case.

Comment

• Paul Schmidt
                  • Jan 2014

Tony George has a short, newer demonstration of the Wessex B flat ophicleide on YouTube, easily found by searching for "Wessex ophicleide". In addition, I have a posted a half hour video exploration of my own Wessex Bb ophi, found by the same search; there is some playing on it, albeit not as good a job as Tony does.

Paul Schmidt

Comment

• Paul Schmidt
                    • Jan 2014

The early Harding serpents were made from fiberglass, and not based on an original instrument; according to David Harding, he just intended them to be playable wall hangings and they were just based on old images, not on a measured original. But the later generation Hardings were actually made from structural foam with a 'skin' formed where foam met mold; these were based on a real original and are noticeably superior to his original model, but I don't think they qualify as being 'plastic'. Kaiser serpents are fiberglass, but made in a high-tech way and based on the dimensions of a Monk church serpent and with the cooperation of the Monk workshop; these are better than the newer Hardings, in my opinion. It is great to have both the Harding and Kaiser serpents available, since reproduction wooden ones come at a fairly high price and are prohibitive for many prospective players.

Wessex on the other hand is just copying an original as faithfully as practical, with a few small adjustments for tuning and such. Unlike the reproduction serpent world, where there are multiple choices, until now there have not really been any newly built ophicleides, and as others have commented the available antique ones are often problematic for one reason or another, and my cost a lot of money to be put right, if it is possible at all. Having a Wessex available for a good price, and being a known quantity, is certainly a good thing.

Comment

• Jonathantuba
                      • Apr 2013

I have just heard that Tony George is going to be playing the Wessex Bb ophicleide for performance of Donizetti's, Les Martyrs at the Royal Festival Hall in London on 5th November and in new recording of the work with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment.

The Bb ophicleide will soon be accompanied by a smaller Wessex C ophicleide with Tony George testing out the prototype while in London. We also have other new versions under development and will be bringing out range of Sackbut in December
                      www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• davewerden
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2005

Jonathan,

Any thoughts of a double-bell euphonium???
                        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                        YouTube: dwerden
                        Facebook: davewerden
                        Twitter: davewerden
                        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Djhutton
                          • Dec 2014

Johnathon was kind enough to demonstrate the Wessex ophicleide for me this very afternoon at his new premises and I have to say it was an impressive sound, full and rich and not at all what you'd expect from the look of it.

I was expecting a weedy clattery sound but far from it, even though Johnathon admitted to not being a world class player of that instrument he produced a lovely tone, unlike any current brass instrument. It looked to be very nicely finished.

Also heard the mini travel tuba, again an amazing sound from a very compact package, if I were a tuba player I'd have to have one of those for the novelty factor if nothing else, and I can see how that would be a handy instrument for several playing scenarios. I can't understand how that design fell by the wayside , it's certainly unique!

Well done to Wessex for re introducing it.

What else did I get up to at Wessex, more of that later , suffice to say I'm a few pounds lighter than I was this morning

DJ
                          Returning to the fold after years away!

Vincent Bach valve trombone
                          Besson and Co euphonium 1900 something (needs work!)
                          Wessex Cantabile silver/gold
                          Denis Wick SM4 to match

Comment

• Jonathantuba
                            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
                            Jonathan,

Any thoughts of a double-bell euphonium???
                            I have thought about it and know of one available to use as template. Maybe sometime, but at present the factory have enough new models to keep them busy
                            Last edited by Jonathantuba; 12-23-2014, 06:34 PM.
                            www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• DaveBj
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Jonathantuba View Post
                              I have thought about it and know of one available to use as template. Maybe sometime, but at present the factory have enough new models to keep them busy
                              Put me on the waiting list
                              David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
                              2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
                              2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
                              2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
                              Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
                              Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

• tonewheeler
                                • Dec 2010

Question: Is there anyone in this group who owns and plays an ophicleide in a regular ensemble, like maybe a period or civil war band?
                                Euphs:
                                Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
                                Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
                                Yamaha 201 Baritone
                                Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
                                Groups:
                                The San Diego Concert Band

Comment

Working...
                                X