Thread: Any information on this horn?

Any information on this horn?

Now that I've lured you here with a vague question ... The horn is this one: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...temID=15904982. I know I should be asking about it on the trombone forum, but apparently I'm not worthy to join that forum. So I'll take what I can get here.

Basically, for $130 including shipping I now own a slightly broken trombone. Why would I do this? Declining mental capabilities with increasing age? Perhaps. But it's worse than that. I have in mind making a cimbasso, and I need a decent bell. This horn was originally advertised as a "contrabass" trombone (which I never believed), and then modified in a later note to "bass" trombone. But I'm a little skeptical of that. So far as I can see, it looks as though it might be a copy of the YSL-882OR Xeno, which would make it a large-bore tenor with F attachment. And the bell is likely a bit smaller than I would like for the cimbasso.

In that case, I'll probably repair it and (if it plays well) sell it and turn the money around towards a bigger bell.

But I wonder if anyone on this forum has any knowledge of or experience with this "brand" of Chinese instrument. I can't find out much of anything about them. Any info will be appreciated. The horn should be here in a week, and at least then I'll know the dimensions and condition.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

It's not a brand I have any memory of at all. I too assumed it is a tenor or bass, but not a contra bass. It does look just a little longer than I thought it should, though. Let us know what you learn!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium