Thread: WTB: Besson valve caps and buttons

1. WTB: Besson valve caps and buttons

I am looking for 2 valve caps for a Besson 3 valve compensating euphonium. s/n 455xxx. These are the valve caps that are sort of shaped like a crown. I also need a valve button for this horn (somewhat conical and deeply "skirted"). My understanding is that Besson no longer sells parts to / through parts dealers like Allied and it is difficult to get parts directly from Besson.

(By way of explanation, I bought this horn as an "organ donor" for another Besson and decided instead to try and fix it and play or sell it. The other Besson is a 4 valve comp. with removable bell front.)
    Last edited by Will; 03-21-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Hi Will,

Welcome to Dave Werden's forum. I don't have an answer except to suggest Windcraft (<- click for link). They have the bottom valve cap. Click on Besson 767 or New Standard then 'photo' to see if that's what you need. Windcraft is located in the UK so shipping will be a concern.

I think you're looking for valve caps that resemble these pictured below?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bessoncaoscompleted.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	2148

The finger button I think you're looking for looks like these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bessonbuttonfab.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	2149

Both of these images were borrowed from Dan Oberloh's website. He's located in Seattle, WA and made these from scratch. Not sure how much they cost though, but Dan does excellent work.
    Last edited by RickF; 03-18-2014 at 04:21 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. Thank you RickF,

I saw the Dan Oberloh website regarding fabricating the parts when I first started looking a couple of months ago. I probably will have to resort to making them from scratch due to the scarcity of parts for Bessons of that era. I have the machinery required to do it, just not the time. A retired engineer friend of mine has said he might like to make the parts for the fun of it! Either way, I thought I would try to find originals first.
    My "parts" Besson plays very well with parts borrowed from my other one and it is too nice to get rid of for want of a few parts.

4. I am resurrecting my old thread to say I am no longer looking for the parts to the Besson.
    I purchased another 3 valve compensating Besson on ebay to use as a donor for parts. The 3 valve and the 4 valve I already own will now have complete sets of finger buttons and valve caps and not need to share.

The other part the donor will be donating is its bell. The 4 valve is a removable bell front. The plan is to replace that with the fixed upright bell from the donor. I will post pictures of the project.
    Last edited by Will; 10-04-2019 at 11:20 AM.
    Weril H980 euph
    Besson 4v comp euph 314xxx
    Besson 3v comp euph 455xxx
    King 3v bari. 20xxx
    King 4v double-bell euph 50xxx
    Conn 5v double-bell euph 355xxx
    Buescher 3+1 double-bell euph 285xxx
    Olds bell-front 3v bari
    Holton alto horn
    Holton 3v tuba
    Belleville Helicon
    Some of the performances of the Mid-Shore Community Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ty%20band&sm=3

I'm happy you're keeping the iconic valve bits that set the New Standard horns apart from their Boosey counterparts. They 'made' the horn, indeed.

Too many want to change them to those ubiquitous flat things everything new comes with.

Dennis