Thread: Hey Willson Fans!!

1. Hey Willson Fans!!

I was seeing if anyone here has played on a. UK MODEL WILLSON and had
    some insight on it?

Hi Luis,
    i suspect you mean the Willson 2900 with the large shank mpc receiver? The only one I can think of is Charley Brighton (aka Highams). He's a forum member here but I haven't seen him post in awhile. But, maybe there are other members who have played that model Willson.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I play on a Willson 2950TA (large shank model), feel free to ask any questions about it if you want!
    Keera Allen
    Senior, Central Michigan University
    Music Education: Euphonium, specializing in baritone
    Willson 2950TA Euphonium
    Yamaha YBH 621 Baritone
    Nirschl I-400SP Baritone

My first Willson had the large shank, and there was something very wrong with it. I found it nearly impossible to center pitches above the staff, and the sound was stuffy. As luck would have it, the US Navy band was touring, and I had the opportunity to discuss the horn with Roger Behrend. We met in his hotel room, and he tried the horn and agreed that something was very wrong with it. I had it shipped back to Willson, and replaced it with one with the european shank. It's certainly possible that my experience was a fluke.

5. In the UK, Wilson 2900's have been shipping with bass trombone shank for some time. However, Charlie experimented on his own horn (about 20 ys old) by adapting a York Eminence leadpipe to it. I played this horn and it was magnificent. AFAIK, Willson are now importing Willson 2900's with large shank leadpipes based on the York design (not the earlier 2950/2960 leadpipe) into the UK. US 2900's are still all medium shank.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I have never had any issues with my horn, great intonation, and always easy to adjust and play both high and low. Mine was made in 2009, and i got it used for $4,000 (used for 6 months by a middle school student who switched). its all a matter of finding the right one for you, because like many makers, all willsons play a bit differently! =]
    Keera Allen
    Senior, Central Michigan University
    Music Education: Euphonium, specializing in baritone
    Willson 2950TA Euphonium
    Yamaha YBH 621 Baritone
    Nirschl I-400SP Baritone

Hi,
    Yes Doug is correct.
    My 1992 Willson 2900 was a test model for adapting the York Eminence leadpipe & receiver for both the 2900 & 2950.

A similar/slightly modified design (it's not quite the same) now comes as standard on Willson UK models, the original one is still on my own instrument.
    It's a much more open sound on both as the bore is fractionally larger on these leadpipes, and flexibility is greatly improved.

These models also come with the B&H style (though more substantial) 4th. valve cover and optional heavy bottom valve caps.
    Best wishes, Chas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	willyork3.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	303.5 KB 
ID:	2146original fitting & testing of the York leadpipe on my 2900
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	willyork2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	2147

Euphgirl05
    Just sent you a PM regarding horn.
    Last edited by MAQ; 06-04-2014 at 07:05 AM.

You can see my opinions on the Willson 2960 in a brand-new blog post:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...ng-and-Willson

It comes with a large shank receiver.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium