Thread: JSI vs. Mighty Bright stand lights

JSI vs. Mighty Bright stand lights

I need to get a good stand light -- as much (or more) for practice at home as for performances. I have the Mighty Bright Duet light, and (for me) it's next to useless.

Last night at rehearsal I got to see and try some of the other Mighty Bright lights,and it looks as though the best choice for me would be the Orchestra one. Its current cost is ~ $60.

But I've also come across what appears to be virtually its twin that is branded and sold by Johnson String Instrument: The JSI ML-19 SuperWide. The cost of this is ~ $24.

Can anyone provide a comparison of these? Has anyone used the JSI light? I'm wondering about both durability and brightness. One concern is that several people have tried to find out how much light (in terms of lumens) this light emits, and have been pretty much stonewalled.

$35 is a big price differential, but I'd happily pay more if there is a distinct difference in quality.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I have the Mighty Bright Orchestra light and it works great. Didn't know the price had gone up that much. Seems like I paid around $35 for mine, but I could be wrong. The JSI looks like an almost exact copy of the orchestra light - even has the flange to keep light from spilling out toward the audience.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Yeah, apparently the price has gone up quite a bit. One of the guys in band said he paid $20 for his -- including the power adapter. I may call the JSI people and ask them straight out what the comparison is.
    Gary Merrill
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)

That light is sold on Amazon as well, and of course they have reviews!

http://www.amazon.com/JSI-ML-19-Supe.../dp/B00BR3TMGW

I like the fact that it uses AA batteries instead of AAA. I've been using the Eneloop AA rechargeable hybrids for years and they are great. Very economical way to not deal with a power adapter. The shelf life is terrific and they have proven powerful enough for everything I've done with them. Here is a "starter set" with 4 batteries and a charger:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-K-KJ...dp/B00JHKSMJU/

As far as lumen ratings, they seem to be pretty "loose" and are often a marketing ploy. If there were a way to get real numbers that would be useful, but on a consumer-level product I'm not sure that's possible. The Amazon reviews look pretty good in that respect.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Check out "Gig Light" also. I don't know how it would compare to the others, but I have one and it seems to work very well. I think it was ~$60 also.

Thanks for those observations, Dave. I've looked at those reviews and they're very encouraging. But I'm always skeptical of reviews -- especially if they don't contain comparisons. But I'm getting inclined towards the JSI light.

I have looked at information on the Gig Light, and it gets good reviews on TubeNet. However, it seems at least a bit more cumbersome and possibly top-heavy than these others (that don't have an articulated arm and sit close to the stand). Also, I KNOW (from using one last night) that the 9-in-line LEDs cover ALL of two pages without any "fringe" effects.

Think I'll call the JSI people and ask them for a comparison of their light and the Mighty Bright.
    Gary Merrill

I just talked with the JSI people and they said that the light is comparable to the Mighty Bright Orchestra light, but that the materials aren't as robust -- plastic in some places rather than metal. Think I'll go with the Mighty Bright.
    Gary Merrill

Theres a good Tromboneforum thread going over there.
    http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?t...;boardseen#new