Thread: Schiller 450? Something else?

Schiller 450? Something else?

I am currently a high school junior looking to buy my first euphonium, since I have grown out of using a three valve horn for some of the music I play. However, I am not looking to spend more than $600-700 on one, unless absolutely necessary. I have been doing some research and found that Schiller looks like a very reliable brand, and the Schiller 450 3+1 valve model seems to be available at reasonable price.

This being said, I have a couple questions. Is the Schiller 450 a good euphonium, mainly in terms of intonation? Or is the non-compensating model a large obstacle in performing and developing skills? If I were to get the Schiller, does it use a small, medium, or large shank mouthpiece? And if this is not the best choice for the position I'm in, any recommendations of good, reasonably priced euphoniums, or where to look for one?

Additional Info: I would rather get a 3 + 1 valve horn, and ideally it would be compensating. Also, new or used is not a big deal, as long as the used horn is in good condition.

2. Mack brass is $895 for silver plated compensating 3+1. I own a wessex which I love and they are very similar. I also talked with tom when I ordered mine and he was extremely helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubby View Post
    Mack brass is $895 for silver plated compensating 3+1. I own a wessex which I love and they are very similar. I also talked with tom when I ordered mine and he was extremely helpful.
    Every once in a while Tom knows someone who wants to trade or sell one of those horns for one reason or another. Might be worth a call to him. He is extremely helpful and informative, and not at all a "high pressure" salesman type. I know he'd help a student in any way he could.

I have to say that $600-$700 probably won't get you a decently playable 3+1 compensating euphonium. It probably will get you something like an older King 4-valve (non-comp) horn in good condition.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)