Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping instruments looking nice.

1. Keeping instruments looking nice.

I will soon be getting the Adam's custom euphonium soon. I was wondering how would you guys keep lacquered instruments look all shiny and nice.
    Another question, when you guys empty your spit valves does some spit spray onto the side of the horn?

Lacquered instruments: just wipe it down with a soft cloth after you play. I like microfiber car detailing towels.

Yes, water keys often put droplets all over the instrument. I only use them in a pinch because of that and usually just pull the slide and dump it.

If anything seems stuck tight, like a water drop that left some mineral deposit, it's probably easier on the finish to use a damp cloth first, then dry with another soft cloth.

I have found that some plain old spray-on Pledge makes the horn just a little bit shinier.

I get some drops on the horn, but not many. I've learned to lean the bell forward before dumping so the drops fall away from the horn.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    Lacquered instruments: just wipe it down with a soft cloth after you play. I like microfiber car detailing towels.
    Yes. And every once in a while use Nu Finish (http://www.nufinish.com/). It's not a wax and contains no abrasives. Really quite amazing stuff.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

5. Thank you guys! What would you guys do to make the silver bell look all nice and clean?

Hagerty Silversmith Spray Polish. I manage to get it at a local hardware store. But sometimes it's tricky to find locally.
    Gary Merrill
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)

Quote Originally Posted by TEuph View Post
    Thank you guys! What would you guys do to make the silver bell look all nice and clean?
    If you mean the sterling sliver bell on my horn, which is has lacquer over the silver, DON'T use silver polish. Just a soft cloth and now-and-then some Pledge is all that is needed. The silver doesn't tarnish because it is sealed from the air by the lacquer.

But for non-lacquered silver, I agree with Gary (except I usually used the liquid version instead of the spray).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Oops. I forgot they lacquer over the silver.

I use the spray because I use it on a tuba -- so there's a lot more surface area .
    Gary Merrill

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    I use the spray because I use it on a tuba -- so there's a lot more surface area .
    You know, I hadn't thought of that angle. I think if I had a silver tuba I might adopt the same practice! But with a euphonium it's not so bad to apply the liquid, and it seems to do a slightly better job of shining.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

10. Is a little lacquer ware on an instrument bad? As in there are small, and I mean small, areas on the horn where the lacquer rubbed off or something. Does that change how you would have to shine the instrument?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast