View Poll Results: Which euphonium is best?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wessex BEC-590

8 57.14%
  • Schiller Elite IV

4 28.57%
  • Packer JP274S

2 14.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JP274S, Wessex, or Schiller Elite IV?

1. Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    Yes, they are all Jin Bao horns. Wessex says that they ordered some modifications to the Jin Bao standard, such as floating leadpipe and water gutters, and, on their newest model, a tuning slide trigger.
    The Wessex euphoniums are made by Jinbao, but much improved over the standard including New floating leadpipe, improved tuning, higher quality valve components, extra water keys, strengthening, water gutters and optional tuning slide trigger, better mouthpiece and better case.

Plus every one is play tested and carefully quality checked before sale, lapping valves, or slides if necessary

Feedback we are getting is excellent - in fact some people that try prefer over much more expensive brands.
    Last edited by Jonathantuba; 04-10-2014 at 05:40 PM.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Dayton View Post
    -ebeyrent- what did you decide to go with? I'm still looking would love as much feedback as possible. Right now I'm looking at the same euphoniums that have been mentioned in this poll plus the Mack Brass.
    I initially went with the Wessex. I played it for about 2 weeks, but found the sound to be a bit brighter than I like, and I had a devil of a time centering notes above high F. There were also a lot of cosmetic issues; the fit and finish wasn't as good as I had hoped for and made me question the quality of the horn over the long term. I ended up returning it for a full refund.

I drove to Dillon Music and ended up purchasing the John Packer 274S, which I could not be happier with. It's a little bit heavier, higher quality, and the tone is everything I could ever want. The case is rubbish though - the Wessex case was much nicer.

I had a very similar view of Euphonium from Wessex. I bought it, but returned it after 14 days of everyday testing. The tone is not comparable to my old Besson 765. Wessex has good response, surprisingly nice intonation, but the tone is a little bit "deaf" or sterile. Higher tones also do not go so easily like on my non-compensating BE765. A bit of disappointing.

In my opinion, Wessex Euphonium is a great instrument for people who have no comparison with other brands. For that price is it certainly satisfying euphonium, but not for perfectionists like me.

I do not understand, how can be Mr. Werden so excited about this musical instrument...

Quote Originally Posted by ebeyrent View Post
    I initially went with the Wessex. I played it for about 2 weeks, but found the sound to be a bit brighter than I like, and I had a devil of a time centering notes above high F. There were also a lot of cosmetic issues; the fit and finish wasn't as good as I had hoped for and made me question the quality of the horn over the long term. I ended up returning it for a full refund.

I drove to Dillon Music and ended up purchasing the John Packer 274S, which I could not be happier with. It's a little bit heavier, higher quality, and the tone is everything I could ever want. The case is rubbish though - the Wessex case was much nicer.
    Jan Vundr
    York Eminence 4052 Euphonium
    SKODA AUTO Wind Band, Czech Republic | www.brassmaniac.com
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    York Bb Tuba | Amati oval Euphonium | Denis Wick 3AL (silver finish with golden cup & rim)

Quote Originally Posted by heimat View Post
    I do not understand, how can be Mr. Werden so excited about this [Wessex] musical instrument...
    It is important to note that I was not comparing it favorably to a Besson. It's competitors would really be horns like the Schiller, Mack Brass, etc. If one likes the traditional sound of a Besson, I think most of the Chinese instruments will disappoint. On the Wessex I tested, I did not notice a problem centering the high notes, but it's always possible that this factor varies from one to the next. At an event like ITEC you usually have only one sample of each model to play on.

Smart shoppers will, to the extent possible, compare all the options in their price range. My guess is that heimat would be hard-pressed to find a Chinese clone that has as satisfying a tone as his Besson, for example. And similarly, when I'm shopping, tone is a huge factor. Given the choice between a clone and a Besson 765, I would probably choose the Besson if I thought I could get along without a compensating system (which I generally don't think I can) because it has more character to its tone. In my personal real-world comparisons over the years, looking for compensating euphoniums, tone was the largest factor. The more sterile tone of some horns ruled them out, despite some other attractive qualities that might have had.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I'm not sure what a "sterile" tone really is, but my Mack Brass sounds a lot better to me than the 321 Yamaha that I used to own. The only Besson I've played recently was a really beat up older one-- still had the medium shank mp-- that one of the local schools had and I didn't think the tone was superior to my new Mack Brass. However, I didn't have them side by side and in the same environment, etc.

I can say that the tone on my Mack sounds great to me, but I'm only an amateur doubler who can't devote nearly as much time to euphonium as I'd like to.

John,

It seems like you don't need to worry about the word "sterile" in this context. I THINK I know what a person would mean in describing a tone that way, but words mean different things to different people. I can only say for sure that I know what I mean by "sterile tone" (and there is a sliding scale involved here). What matters in your choice of a horn is whether is satisfies (or even enhances) your own concept of tone. If you're happy with the Mack's tone, if it sounds like you think a euphonium should sound, then life is good!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks, Dave. Actually I wasn't really worrying about the term, just trying to understand it. As I said sometimes it's comparing apples and oranges. I've played my Mack in my home office where I practice in our basement with my current mp-- UMI 5G. I played the old compensating Besson in the practice room of a local school using the Schilke 51D that was stuck in he horn-- literally. It's hard to actually compare, but I didn't find the Besson really superior to my ear. My main comparison is to the old Yammie and that really was a difference to me, but, again, the mp is different-- bigger and deeper-- as well. So many variable obviously go into tone. Both the Mack and my old Yamaha have a couple of high notes that don't slot as well as I'd like, as I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but I really believe that it's just the difference between the euph and the trombones that I also play and slot so much better on those notes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12