View Poll Results: Which euphonium is best?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wessex BEC-590

8 57.14%
  • Schiller Elite IV

4 28.57%
  • Packer JP274S

2 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JP274S, Wessex, or Schiller Elite IV?

JP274S, Wessex, or Schiller Elite IV?

I am new to the forum, but a long-time euphonium player. I sold my Willson 2900 about 15 years ago after injury prevented me from playing. I desperately miss playing though, and am planning to purchase a new horn. However, I do not have the budget to get another Willson, and am looking at lower-cost options.

The three I keep coming back to are:

Schiller Elite IV
    Wessex BEC-590
    J Packer JP274S

The biggest problem I have is that it's not really possible to try any of these, except for the Packer, because I'm in NH and we don't see these brands around here. Dillon Music can get me a Packer to try though. I'm not fond of the idea of buying a horn without being able to test it out and compare it to the others, but in the absence of getting one to try, I'm having to rely on internet research.

At first glance, the Packer seems to be a better-constructed horn than the Schiller and Wessex. It has a smaller bell, which I'm used to with the Willson. The Schiller and Wessex horns seem to have a smaller bore than the Willson.

I've read in a few places that the Schiller has some intonation issues, and that some horns vibrate and buzz. I've only read high praise for the Wessex, although the salesperson at Dillon Music told me that the Wessex and Schiller were the same horn. I've not read anything about the Packer.

I'm looking for insight, advice, and real input from folks who have played and/or owned any of these horns. Thanks in advance everyone!

I have been playing a Schiller Elite for over two years and I'm very pleased with the sound, intonation and quality of build. Someone had a Wessex at band rehearsal last year and, comparing it to my Schiller, it was lighter and didn't play as well as the Schiller. It wasn't too bad but did have some minor vibration when playing with a strong full sound. I think the Mack Brass is very similar to the Schiller, a little less expensive and a favorable return policy. I went with the Schiller because of the waiting time for a Mack Brass, which was then about 60 days.

One thing I strongly suggest you satisfy yourself about before making a commitment is to understand exactly what the differences are among these instruments. The Schiller, Wessex, and Mack Brass are all Jin Bao and fundamentally the SAME INSTRUMENT. I don't know about the Packer. There may be some differences (such as an extra water key, inclusion of a particular mouthpiece, etc.), but you have to be aware of what the real differences are because there are some price differences here. Beware also of shipping costs and any import duties if you buy from anywhere abroad.

Also note that Tom McGrady is still offering his 100% refund satisfaction guarantee (that includes shipping costs both ways) if you're not happy with the instrument: http://www.mackbrass.com/MACK-EU1150_Comp.php.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Just be aware that because Tom McGrady's price and warranty are so good, there is often a lengthy backlog to wait for your horn. I just learned that by personal experience. I had verbally committed to getting one of his euphoniums that are to arrive in his March shipment, but I was slow to get him my deposit until earlier this week. By that time he had several school orders that had cleaned out the whole incoming shipment and I have to wait till June for my new horn unless someone backs out.

Since, as I mentioned, I've already sold my Yamaha, I'm going to borrow an antique baritone horn that one of the members of our jazz band found in an estate sale-- a bari sax player, of all things, who has no idea how to play it. He brought it once to rehearsal to show it to me and I think my small shank mp will fit and, if I remember correctly, the valves sort of moved. This, right now, is my only option to have a valved horn to practice on. It certainly isn't a horn to perform on-- I'm not even sure if it's high pitch, low pitch or whatever. I promised him that I'd try to clean it up-- a good opportunity to use my new Quick Hose Rinse attachment that I recently bought.

By the way any suggestions on how to approach using the antique as part the trombone-euphonium mix of practice regimen that we spoke of earlier here on the Forum?

5. I have been playing the Schiller Elite for well over 6 years and have had no issues with it. Has met/exceeded all of my expectations. Great value for the price. Also going on 5 years with a silver Jin Bao Eb comp tuba. VERY nice horn. I mix it in with my Yamaha 381S Eb depending on venue. Quite pleased with my Jin Bao products.

6. I have been selling the John Packer line for quite some time, and what I can tell you is the JP200 series and JP300 series of instruments are truly great !
    I can send you whatever model that you are looking for - I have them all in stock and at the lowest price anywhere !
    The JP274S (silverplate) or the JP374S Sterling models have received rave reviews.
    You can contact me at dfisher530@comcast.net or call me at 630-267-9828.
    Thanks - Dan

-ebeyrent- what did you decide to go with? I'm still looking would love as much feedback as possible. Right now I'm looking at the same euphoniums that have been mentioned in this poll plus the Mack Brass.

Dan- Where are the JP Euphoniums manufactured? I thought I read somewhere along the line somewhere, the JP isn't Chinese made? Is that right?

Anyone that knows this- The Wessex, Schiller and Mack Brass are all Jin Bao made horns?

ebeyrent- I'm sorry for the high jack. If I need to start my own thread I will. But I'm just looking for information from those that have played the same brands in your poll.

Thanks to all that have input! It is greatly appreciated.

9. It has been posted that the JP horns are made in China but in a different factory, independent of Jin Bao. Whether this is better or not has yet to be determined. You would think that oversight from Sterling would have a positive impact

excerpt from JP Website follows:

With a new line of JP Sterling lower brass forthcoming, Sterling founder and accomplished musician Paul Riggett is confident this range will follow in the preceding success.
    “I have been admiring the work that John Packer has been doing with Chinese manufacturing for some time; their collaborations with Smith-Watkins and Rath have truly raised the bar, developing them from a British company to an international company. Rob asked for my help on a new range of lower brass that they were planning and I had no hesitation at accepting.”

Sterling Musical Instruments rapidly established itself in the brass band market in the UK and across the globe by producing high quality handmade instruments. Paul makes all his Sterling instruments in a small workshop in Bedford. This same attention to detail will take place with the new JP Sterling range; combining western techniques and materials with Chinese manufacture. Paul accompanied John Packer company director Rob Hanson to the John Packer factory in China in the first of a series of visits to give firsthand instructions to John Packer technicians how to make his instruments.

Rob Hanson said: “Paul’s enormous experience and skill in the manufacture and design of professional brass instruments is acknowledged worldwide and is now at the very heart of the JP/Sterling range of brass band instruments. While made in China, these instruments will be of professional standard.”
    Last edited by tampaworth; 04-09-2014 at 05:55 AM. Reason: added info
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Quote Originally Posted by Dayton View Post
    Anyone that knows this- The Wessex, Schiller and Mack Brass are all Jin Bao made horns?
    Yes, they are all Jin Bao horns. Wessex says that they ordered some modifications to the Jin Bao standard, such as floating leadpipe and water gutters, and, on their newest model, a tuning slide trigger.

--Dean L. Surkin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast