Thread: Solo and Ensemble Competition-Texas

Solo and Ensemble Competition-Texas

Hi, I am a euph player going into my senior year in HS next year. This year for the TSSEC competition I performed Guilmant's Morceau Symphonique and am advancing to state on it. Because of my inexperience with the competition, I only had 4 weeks to work on the solo. I would like to already have my solo in mind before hand so I don't have to work as hard in such a small amount of time. If anyone could recommend a solo from this list (see link) I would be grateful. Please feel free to give me any pointers on the Morceau or on a solo that you would recommend. Thanks!

https://www.utexas.edu/uil/pml/catal...lla/1/accomp/1

ALSO on the site the solo must be catagorized under GRADE 1 inorder for it to qualify.

There is a LOT of selection there! Can you narrow down what you would like? We could also use more info about your abilities. Could you (or did you) work up Morceau within 4 weeks?Within the 1's there are lots of good choices, but there is also a huge range of difficulty within that group. Do you want a more serious piece (like Morceau) or more of a showcase (like a theme & variations solo)?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    We could also use more info about your abilities. Could you (or did you) work up Morceau within 4 weeks?Within the 1's there are lots of good choices, but there is also a huge range of difficulty within that group. Do you want a more serious piece (like Morceau) or more of a showcase (like a theme & variations solo)?
    I made the 3rd Chair in my ATTSB Regional Band. The judge (for my solo) said that I had really good range (which is really important for Morceau) and I was given Morceau 4 weeks before the tssec regional competition. I would like something serious and difficult so that I could get more experience with difficult music before I enter college. So something that i might need to play for an audition outside HS would be great.

I would also like to say that to learn the Morceau i listened to your cover on youtube, so THANKS!

I teach in Texas. there are many good pieces on the list. Some of my personal favorites include the Haddad Suite 1st and 2nd movements), Introduction and dance, The bach cello suites, Napoli, and Galliard #1

I like the suggestion of Barat's Introduction and Dance. There is a recording on this forum of Roger Bobo playing it (in the euphonium octave).

If you want to flash it up a bit, you could do Beautiful Colorado or Bride of the Waves.

Of course I like a choice of my arrangement of the Allegro Moderato from Arpeggione Sonata.

Schumann Five Pieces in Folk Style. There is diversity in the 5 mvts, so you can mix & match. Note that, like the Arpeggione, Five Pieces was arranged by a euphonium player (Dr. Paul Droste)

Two pieces you might find on auditions lists are Endearing Young Charms and the Donald White Lyric Suite. But all the pieces above have been on auditions lists, so take your pick!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Texas, where every thing is bigger & BETTER
    Haha I told myself the same thing last year. I procrastinated so much, and All Region auditions for my zone kept on getting rescheduled due to weather, so I didn't work on my solo for quite a while.This year for TSSEC I played Sonata in F by Marcello. Would have made it to state, but while I was playing in the room..... I forgot the fourth movement. Oh well, Maybe I'll choose one from the non memorization list next year.

I looked at each of the suggestions and I REALLY like Bride of the Waves. THANK YOU for the help! Do you guys have any practice suggestions for how i could make my Morceau better