Thread: Sunlife Band vs Jones & Crossland Brass Bands

Sunlife Band vs Jones & Crossland Brass Bands

I saw this on YouTube. Fine performances. A great Euph solo starting at 8:25. Enjoy!

URL:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxI2y...=share&index=3

Oh my! Steve Mead from about 30 years ago... when he had lots of hair (and no trigger). Thanks for sharing!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. Beautiful sounding how he works that Globe Stamp!
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Oh my! Steve Mead from about 30 years ago... when he had lots of hair (and no trigger). Thanks for sharing!
    I absolutely did not recognize him! I loved the playing though. I rewatched the video. They do introduce him. I think I must have stepped away and missed that. A blast from the past! wow!
    Last edited by Davidus1; 02-24-2014 at 10:22 AM.

No offense but I much prefer his sound here than in recent times, seems to fit with my taste better. Absolutely phenomenal playing regardless!
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

The general idea and concept of euphonium sound, and brass band sound in general has changed. In the '70s and '80s brass bands and thus, euphonium players, presented a darker and smoother sound than they do today. I believe even back then many brass works were still transcriptions from other mediums; meant to be played very smoothly and sonorously. Today, now that established composers are writing tons of original works for brass band, the style of playing has changed, as the style of pieces has changed. Composers are putting a million notes in their pieces and brass bands are playing louder, bigger, and brighter.

Kyle Aufderhar

1982 Besson Imperial 767 euphonium (Giddings and Webster Carbonaria)
    1966 Salvation Army Triumphonic baritone (Doug Elliott, LT 100 rim, F cup, F3xs shank)

Lafayette Concert Band
    Acadian Wind Symphony
    University of Louisiana-Lafayette Wind Ensemble

7. Quote Originally Posted by K_Aufderhar View Post
    In the '70s and '80s brass bands and thus, euphonium players, presented a darker and smoother sound than they do today..... Composers are (today) putting a million notes in their pieces and brass bands are playing louder, bigger, and brighter.
    On the heels of the Olympics IMO the figure skating analogy fits quite nicely. Guys these days guys need a great quad and triple axel to compete and win while ladies need various triple-triples and body defying tricks like the full leg-up split spin at turbo speed. Did Dorothy Hammill and Peggy Fleming need it or did they rely on style and grace? Extreme athleticism is more and more necessary to successfully compete in today's world, musically or otherwise. Maybe that's why a throwback to a beautiful smooth performance such as this is so appealing.
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Nicely said, Bob!!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Great analogy, tampaworth.

Kyle Aufderhar

1982 Besson Imperial 767 euphonium (Giddings and Webster Carbonaria)
    1966 Salvation Army Triumphonic baritone (Doug Elliott, LT 100 rim, F cup, F3xs shank)

Lafayette Concert Band
    Acadian Wind Symphony
    University of Louisiana-Lafayette Wind Ensemble