Thread: Endearing Young Charms Duet - U.S. Navy Band on Tour

Endearing Young Charms Duet - U.S. Navy Band on Tour

Here is a very nice performance of my arrangement of Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms for euphonium duet. The Navy just did it while on tour, with Phil Eberly and Bryce Edwards on the duet. In case you're wondering, the added A (above high Bb) on the end is not written!

http://www.dwerden.com/music-videos/...s.cfm?vid=2351
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Beautiful piece! Very well done. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Here is a very nice performance of my arrangement of Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms for euphonium duet. The Navy just did it while on tour, with Phil Eberly and Bryce Edwards on the duet. In case you're wondering, the added A (above high Bb) on the end is not written!

http://www.dwerden.com/music-videos/...s.cfm?vid=2351
    Dave-

I have the duet with piano arrangement of this, and just performed it this last Saturday. I'd like to play it again with band. Have you published a band version, or is it compatible with another band arrangement?

Don Winston

My arrangement is available with brass (and timpani) accompaniment. It is scored for USA-type brass, so trombones are in bass clef, horns in F, etc.

http://www.cimarronmusic.com/search.cfm?id=131

The middle movement especially is changed from the standard solo-band versions of this piece. A good band and conductor might be able to work with the old Mantia version of the accompaniment. One of the reasons I chose to re-score for just brass was to avoid the old-style woodwind writing of the Mantia-Brasch version, which was not especially attractive to the sounds woodwinds can produce (but... shhhhh about that - it's a secret!).

The link above has an MP3 file, which will let you hear what the brass version sounds like.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Really clever arrangement, Dave! I like it!

My arrangement is available with brass (and timpani) accompaniment. It is scored for USA-type brass, so trombones are in bass clef, horns in F, etc.

The middle movement especially is changed from the standard solo-band versions of this piece. A good band and conductor might be able to work with the old Mantia version of the accompaniment. One of the reasons I chose to re-score for just brass was to avoid the old-style woodwind writing of the Mantia-Brasch version, which was not especially attractive to the sounds woodwinds can produce (but... shhhhh about that - it's a secret!).

The link above has an MP3 file, which will let you hear what the brass version sounds like.
    Your wife doesn't frequent this forum, does she?

Any idea what accompaniment the Navy Band used?

Don

No, but I suspect that Brasch. Their recording has no band melody in the 2nd variation, for one thing. I added that to eliminate the sense I always got when listening to Brasch and others - that the piece had 2 long, similar-sounding cadenzas. Adding the melody in the 2nd var. makes it sound richer, but it also gives it a sense of shape and makes it easier for the audience to follow.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Does the duet-piano arrangement on Cimarron's website match the duet-brass ensemble arrangement?

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the two arrangements are the same.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)