Thread: North American Brass Band Summer School

1. North American Brass Band Summer School

I just received a Facebook IM this afternoon from David Childs regarding an upcoming program, to be held in Halifax, Nova Scotia, June 27 - July 8, concurrent with the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo. The note from Dave reads:
    ==============================================

2/10/2014 3:47pm

Hi Doug,

I hope you're well. Sorry I won't be seeing you this summer in Swansea, however, if you fancy extending your stay in the UK for an extra week you'd be most welcome in Framlingham! www.brassbandsummerschool.com

I'm actually writing because I wanted to let you know about another new summer school a little closer to home for you: The North American Brass Band Summer School! The first course is taking place this summer and its set to be pretty exciting! Here's some details:

Conductor: Robert Childs
    Euphonium: David Childs
    Tuba: Dan Perantoni
    Cornet: Roger Webster
    Horn / Baritone: Helen Harrelson (ne Tyler)
    Trombone: David Martin
    Venue: Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
    Dates: 28 June - 8 July
    Course Fee including tuition, and full board: $500!

This particular summer school is a little different! It is being run in collaboration with the world renowned Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo, so in addition to the usual sectionals, lessons, sight reading sessions, rehearsals, the summer school band will also be taking part in the Tattoo every evening performing to over 60,000 people! All for DVD and Television broadcast too! We'll also have a couple of concerts of our own in and around Halifax towards the end of the course.

I've not been before, but I'm told Halifax is a pretty beautiful place. If you think it could be of interest to you or any of your US banding friends please spread the word. It would be great to see you there, and I'm pretty sure the weather will be better than the UK!

www.nabbss.com

All the very best,

Dave
    ======================================
    I will almost certainly attend that Halifax event as well as the IBBSS in Swansea (Aug 3 - Aug 9). Having the list of tutors and Robert Childs as MD is great. But actually experiencing the Halifax Tattoo by playing in it is over the top. The $500/person for room, food and tutors is heavily subsidized by Besson and by the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo Society (RNSITS). Sounds like a great opportunity.
    Last edited by daruby; 02-20-2014 at 11:22 AM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Good afternoon,
    I thought that I would use this thread from 2014 to ask about the North American Brass Band Summer School, to be held from Wednesday, July 24 to Saturday, July 4, 2020 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
    Here's the link to the website https://www.nabbss.ca

Have any members attended, and if so, how was your experience?
    Thanks!
    Euph Loosh
    Imperial by Boosey & Hawkes 4-valve Euphonium (mid-1950's)
    MPs: Kosikup 1 1/2, Bowman BB2 Euro shank, Denis Wick 4AM; Marcus Bonna case