Thread: Beatles Song: Here, There, and Everywhere - Euphonium Solo, David Werden

Beatles Song: Here, There, and Everywhere - Euphonium Solo, David Werden

So it's been 50 years since the Beatles visited the USA and created a haircut panic among other things. They also gave us some wonderful songs along the way. Here is my performance of one, which I just found in my computer's folders, from 2008 at ITEC. It was just a throw-away intro to a master class, but it's still a nice song. I was demonstrating how one could "arrange" a song without touching pen to paper (electronically or otherwise). The piano and I played from the same music (although I purchased 2 copies so we could each have our native key). Barbara Young underplayed or omitted the melody when I was covering it. The she took the melody on the bridge and I wanted to come in after it. However, the ending measure of the bridge is the beginning measure of the last melody statement and it sounded ugly if I just jumped in. So I simply joined the piano partway through her solo, playing a harmony line, which then led me smoothly back to the melody. Simple.

Here's the video:

Dave Werden, Euphonium: Here, There, and Everywhere
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Very mellow

Don't get me wrong; I really like the classic and modern literature for euphonium, but I love it when folks take the really good, melodic pieces from popular and sacred/gospel music and make euphonium solos out of them. I do that myself, only you do it better, and you have a pro pianist with you, while I have to synth my accomps.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

DaveBj,

I'm lucky that I often have a chance to play with good pianists who are also good accompanists. The two don't necessarily go together!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    DaveBj,

I'm lucky that I often have a chance to play with good pianists who are also good accompanists. The two don't necessarily go together!
    That point has been made before and very very true.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

I like it! Nice.

Very well!! You have done a good job. Music always have some meanings. For those who understand music they like it & those who don't understand they don't.

7. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I was demonstrating how one could "arrange" a song without touching pen to paper (electronically or otherwise). The piano and I played from the same music (although I purchased 2 copies so we could each have our native key). Barbara Young underplayed or omitted the melody when I was covering it. The she took the melody on the bridge and I wanted to come in after it. However, the ending measure of the bridge is the beginning measure of the last melody statement and it sounded ugly if I just jumped in. So I simply joined the piano partway through her solo, playing a harmony line, which then led me smoothly back to the melody. Simple.
    Dave Werden, Euphonium: Here, There, and Everywhere
    Very nice! And thank you for the tip! That sounds like a really good idea. A lot of the arrangements of music for solos in church do not appeal to me for one reason or another. I have thought it would be nice to come up with some things on my own, but I don't really have the skills to do that. This may be helpful as a first step--I am anxious to give it a try.